St Croix?? Verse grate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

d-dayman

Aug 22, 2017
Hollidaysburg
I’m currently looking at a St. Croix Prescott pellet stove that I found used for a pretty good price. I understand that these are very well-made stoves. My question is though, What is the versa grade and how does it work? Are there any issues with them? Are they noisy and, are they prone to fail. Also does anyone know if you can get a log sets for them? Can’t seem to find any online.

Thanks

The versa grate is a system the shakes the burn pot to assist in keeping it clean.as for the rest of your questions i haven’t worked on a st. Croix so i don’t know

The versa grate is a system the shakes the burn pot to assist in keeping it clean.as for the rest of your questions i haven’t worked on a st. Croix so i don’t know

Thanks for the feedback. It’s either the St Croix Prescott or an earth stove mp250. The Prescott is a lot newer and parts are more readily available. I do like the looks of the earth stove though.

Personally,you could not give me the earth stove.The Prescott came in 3 versions,depending on how old it is,with half a dozen different control board setups,but all upgrade-able.The versa grate system has been out a long time,and works well,does require more maintenance.Don,t think any St Crois's had fake logs,not built for it,fire box is not deep.Prescotts can throw lots of heat.Kind of a noisy stove,for a living room.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s either the St Croix Prescott or an earth stove mp250. The Prescott is a lot newer and parts are more readily available. I do like the looks of the earth stove though.
I would stay away from the earth stove. The st Croix is hands down more efficient then most of the other pellet stoves. Meaning it will put more heat out in your house and waste less going out of the exh pipe. They are simple, well made, and dependable.

Reactions: heat seeker
Personally,you could not give me the earth stove.The Prescott came in 3 versions,depending on how old it is,with half a dozen different control board setups,but all upgrade-able.The versa grate system has been out a long time,and works well,does require more maintenance.Don,t think any St Crois's had fake logs,not built for it,fire box is not deep.Prescotts can throw lots of heat.Kind of a noisy stove,for a living room.
Yeah, I was kind of worried about the earth stove. Kind of figured that. I have one other option would be a Quadra fire Santa Fe, but I thought it might be too small. I don’t need a big stove, but would like something nice And able to heat the house on those 40° days instead of firing up the pf100. Thought it might save me a little bit on pellets

Yeah, I was kind of worried about the earth stove. Kind of figured that. I have one other option would be a Quadra fire Santa Fe, but I thought it might be too small. I don’t need a big stove, but would like something nice And able to heat the house on those 40° days instead of firing up the pf100. Thought it might save me a little bit on pellets
The Quad has a self cleaning burnpot,also,both will prob. put out the same amount of heat.

I would check the production date of both stoves before making a decision.The St croix is a workhorse,but,if older may require a controller upgrade,full service and bushings,esp. if it is older,but same can be said about the Quad.In my experience,the St Croix can run on high continuously,but sounds that is not what you need.

Reactions: d-dayman
I have had no problems with my VersaGrate. It was a bit noisy when I got the stove (used), but found that lubing the two bushings for the shaft quieted it right down. What I was hearing was the gear noise from the gearbox, because it was being strained excessively by friction. Now it is hardly noticeable, and can't be heard above the stove's normal sound. Lubing the shaft, and the auger bushings reduces the load on the motors and gearboxes, extending their lives (true for any stove).
I have never seen a log set for a St Croix, but the flame in the pot is nice to look at by itself. The burn pot is rectangular instead of round, and tends to fan the flame out, making for a nice visual.
Back when my VersaGrate was noisy, I disconnected it, and saw no real difference in the stove, so suspect it's not really necessary unless you're burning corn.
My stove is a workhorse, easy to clean, simple to maintain.
The Croix web site has some excellent videos on maintenance, and a cutaway diagram of the stove's internals which helps one to understand what and where to clean. The stove has no thermocouples, etc., just simple and inexpensive snap switches.

I have had no problems with my VersaGrate. It was a bit noisy when I got the stove (used), but found that lubing the two bushings for the shaft quieted it right down. What I was hearing was the gear noise from the gearbox, because it was being strained excessively by friction. Now it is hardly noticeable, and can't be heard above the stove's normal sound. Lubing the shaft, and the auger bushings reduces the load on the motors and gearboxes, extending their lives (true for any stove).
I have never seen a log set for a St Croix, but the flame in the pot is nice to look at by itself. The burn pot is rectangular instead of round, and tends to fan the flame out, making for a nice visual.
Back when my VersaGrate was noisy, I disconnected it, and saw no real difference in the stove, so suspect it's not really necessary unless you're burning corn.
The Croix web site has some excellent videos on maintenance, and a cutaway diagram of the stove's internals which helps one to understand what and where to clean. The stove has no thermocouples, etc., just simple and inexpensive snap switches.
Ya,the St Croix would be my choice.

You just made my decision. That was my main concern. St Croix it is.

Can't say enough good things about the Prescott. As Heat Seeker stated, lube auger bushings and Versa Grate mechanism when you purchase it. Throws out a lot of heat, very low maintenance, easy to clean, and loves the leaf blower cleaning technique. I don't scrape the burn pot but once every 2 weeks due to Versa Grate. It's a daily scrape on my Harman P61a due to ash build up.

Can't say enough good things about the Prescott. As Heat Seeker stated, lube auger bushings and Versa Grate mechanism when you purchase it. Throws out a lot of heat, very low maintenance, easy to clean, and loves the leaf blower cleaning technique. I don't scrape the burn pot but once every 2 weeks due to Versa Grate. It's a daily scrape on my Harman P61a due to ash build up.
Thanks for the feedback. Will be heading out tomorrow to pick up the Prescott.

Enjoy your stove, and we're here to help if you need us! And thanks for getting back to us with your decision.

Just picked up the St. Croix. It’s in very good condition overall, just needs a little cleaning. Manufactured in 2009. I got the stove, a hearth pad, a through the wall kit, and about 6 feet of pipe for $600.00. Can’t wait to get it set up And warming up the house

Just picked up the St. Croix. It’s in very good condition overall, just needs a little cleaning. Manufactured in 2009. I got the stove, a hearth pad, a through the wall kit, and about 6 feet of pipe for $600.00. Can’t wait to get it set up And warming up the house
That is a good deal,IMO.Leave it outside,take apart and clean with high pressure air house would be my recommendation.

Yup, sounds like a good deal. Ditto on cleaning it outside with compressed air. Make sure to get the ash traps, and behind the front "wall". Check out the web site's cutaway, and you'll see to what I refer.

Yes. Definitely be tearing it down completely and cleaning it out outside. There are a couple spots that could be touched up with paint. What’s the best stove paint to get that will hold up?