Stability provided (lost?) From selkirk boot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mudr

Jan 7, 2013
Hi folks,
Long time since I've been here, can't believe I remembered my name and password on my first guess! Looking for some reassurances on my upcoming chimney install. It is an 8 inch chimney, straight up, pole barn structure with ribbed/corrugated metal roof. I will be using a selkirk penetration kit (link below) with the selkirk rubber boot flashing. I will have a 4 ft section of pipe above the roof.

Now, I did not get a support brace because, as I read it, I need one at 5ft and taller (I will be at 4). But, do I lose some lateral stability by using the rubber boot? Has anyone else done an Install similar to this? How did it work out? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-selkirk-pitched-ceiling-support-kit-6t-pck-5358.html

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You should brace it, the flashing you have chosen offers no support.

If the pipe is horizontally supported or you have a block off fitting not too far below the roof, you shouldn't need to do anything. It is true that the boot is not a rigid support, but it does offer support and is self centering particularly if you have something that provides more horizontal stability not too far below the roof line.

This is the part that offers support immediately beneath the roof, which will be bolted to the trusses/purlins.
217c9eb6a632939e9f1113207f3e2f7c.jpg

the selkirk rubber boot kit has a set of 3 steel braces that attach to the framing around the hole through the steel roof. this is NOT a weight support. but it is a side to side support.

you install the steel spacers, then a steel insulator ring. then bolt the mounting tabs to the roof support (if your like me, you may have to build the supports). THEN the rubber boot goes over the steel spacers. the boot does not directly touch the class A chimney at all.

once the boot is on, you put the rain cap over the chimney pipe and silicone it in place.

I have it ready to go in. Indeed, pretty big

Well, I said screw it. The brace kit is only $53. It may not be "required" based on height requirements, but over built is the best kind of built.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck