Stack of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would be wasting my energy. Dept of weights and measures contacted him and he's bringing more wood. That's all he had to do in the first place. I will be measuring all wood deliveries from now on. Just can't trust anyone :(
Way to go, Deborita. This has been a real pia for you, but I admire your persistence.

Wonder how that conversation between him and the Dept. Of weights and measures went?

Way to go, Deborita. This has been a real pia for you, but I admire your persistence.

Wonder how that conversation between him and the Dept. Of weights and measures went?

The woman called me back and said he would rectify the situation so I thought everything was OK until he showed up. I went outside because I heard him unloading the wood. I asked if he thought the stack I had looked like a cord. He mentioned again that I had them in 3 rows instead of 2(doesn't matter) I had the wood 4ft deep 8ft long but he still thinks I'm wrong. He said he was told he couldn't speak to me so I walked away to my front yard. He was angry, talking out loud. After he left I went over to the wood pile and it was sooo wet, like someone poured water over it. He gave us a worse batch than the other delivery. Probably to get even. We are going to let this dry until next year. Won't be using him anymore!!

Reactions: Schipp
The woman called me back and said he would rectify the situation so I thought everything was OK until he showed up. I went outside because I heard him unloading the wood. I asked if he thought the stack I had looked like a cord. He mentioned again that I had them in 3 rows instead of 2(doesn't matter) I had the wood 4ft deep 8ft long but he still thinks I'm wrong. He said he was told he couldn't speak to me so I walked away to my front yard. He was angry, talking out loud. After he left I went over to the wood pile and it was sooo wet, like someone poured water over it. He gave us a worse batch than the other delivery. Probably to get even. We are going to let this dry until next year. Won't be using him anymore!!
It'll dry out, no biggie. As long as you got your cord. You could even check out the solar kiln threads by woodsplitter67 and Poindexter to help speed your drying. Woodsplitter67's threads are more accessible, Poindexter's more technical.

You could always take him to small claims court. He would likely never pay but you could put a lean against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the cost, time, and effort required in small claims - not worth the hassle- my experience has been if you get a judgement in your favor - there are no teeth on the compliance side.

Reactions: deborita3
You could always take him to small claims court. He would likely never pay but you could put a lean against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont bother. All that would do is string out your misery, plus there are no damages, the wood was delivered. "But it was wet" will get you nowhere with normal folks.

Why doesn't the OP post the name of the vendor?

I haven't posted his name because he does this on the side in my neighborhood. He doesn't work for a company or own a company. He lives in my neighborhood and I don't want to cause too many problems. I got my wood.
Right on Deborita, you've got bigger fish to fry, I'm sure. Holding grudges is bad for the liver, anyway.

Reactions: Schipp and Lone_Gun
I haven't posted his name because he does this on the side in my neighborhood. He doesn't work for a company or own a company. He lives in my neighborhood and I don't want to cause too many problems. I got my wood.

Except now you've condemned pretty much anyone else who follows you to being ripped off by this - and you could have done something to prevent it. And if he's ripping off his neighbor's like you, what do you think he's doing to total strangers?

But it's your choice, you live with it.

Except now you've condemned pretty much anyone else who follows you to being ripped off by this - and you could have done something to prevent it. And if he's ripping off his neighbor's like you, what do you think he's doing to total strangers?

But it's your choice, you live with it.

Ok Charles Bronson.

Not her responsibility to police this dude. You have no idea of his propensities, he could be a violent psycho, or become one if some of his income is cut off by someone. Sounds pretty scary already, he is in her neighborhood.

Plus, don't other buyers have the obligation to look out for themselves?

It's a bad idea to poke the bear. Particularly if the bear lives close.

Nothing is more worse for a salesman than a well educated customer. Glad you got your wood. I wonder what the dept of weights and measures has to say to someone like that?

Now you should be a little better at eyeballing a pile vs a stack. If you think its short maybe offer the guy some cash to help stack it for you right then. If its short then you can adjust your payment accordingly.

But it's your choice, you live with it.[/QU

I reported him to the Dept of weights and measures. They have his name.
What more would you have me do? He doesn't deliver out of my neighborhood so how can anyone on this site be affected? I think you are being too harsh. Just.my opinion.

Ok Charles Bronson.

Not her responsibility to police this dude. You have no idea of his propensities, he could be a violent psycho, or become one if some of his income is cut off by someone. Sounds pretty scary already, he is in her neighborhood.

Plus, don't other buyers have the obligation to look out for themselves?

It's a bad idea to poke the bear. Particularly if the bear lives close.

Thank you! I appreciate the nice comments. Unfortunately there are some crazy people in this world who would do something to someone over some firewood. The fact that he lives only minutes from me and knows where I live, I don't want to escalate the situation. He was very angry when he delivered the wood. I don't want anymore contact with him and like you said it's not my responsibility to police everyone. The Dept of weights and measures has his name if they want to pursue it. I feel I did my job.

Sorry you had such a bad experience but happy all the good folks in this group were able to help.

Now you can send him a pie (or whatever) with a card, to “gain your neighbor”! (And ease tensions)
You’ll probably (or possibly) run into him from time to time and never know how “good relations” may be beneficial in the future!
(He may actually still believe he’s right)
At any rate, being a “peacemaker” is not always easy! But it builds character! Ha! ☺️

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Now you can send him a pie (or whatever) with a card, to “gain your neighbor”! (And ease tensions)
You’ll probably (or possibly) run into him from time to time and never know how “good relations” may be beneficial in the future!
(He may actually still believe he’s right)
At any rate, being a “peacemaker” is not always easy! But it builds character! Ha! ☺️

Or he could send me one since he was in the wrong and was disrespectful.:

Reactions: Lone_Gun