Stack On Weed Block

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Has anybody stacked directly on weed block? Any positives?
Thinking it might keep pests out and minimize rot. No idea if practical.
Thanks.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

;lol Maybe I can help then?!

I don't want to use pallets. Don't have enough woods for saplings. 2x4's on edge probably would be more expensive than a layer of rotted splits, which I haven't experienced yet at my place. I'm not crazy about tiptoeing on the pallets 2x4s either. Plus, the ground has rocks, etc. I tried stacking on plastic a couple of times, but water just collected, so I nixed that. I figure weed block would be water permeable. I'm not sure it would be of any benefit at all, however. it's not like weed block is that cheap either. Between rows I can simply string trim if necessary. I've just about talked myself out of it. :)

Ya, just laying down a couple rows of your splits to stack on works well. When the wood is gone, throw those two rows on top of what you'll burn next year.

How about leveling the area with sand & putting down paver bricks, done deal ;)

th-1.jpeg

Not cheap or easy though.
You might be right , the rotten wood on the bottom can be use as compost ;)

Yeah. I like the fact there's no pallets to mess with. Or maybe I'm saying that because I can't get 'em. :)

How about leveling the area with sand & putting down paver bricks, done deal ;)

View attachment 100071

Not cheap or easy though.
You might be right , the rotten wood on the bottom can be use as compost ;)

I put in a walk + when we first got the house 7 years ago. It was pretty tough, and I haven't gotten any younger, for sure. Those pavers are surprisingly expensive. And then, nobody will ever see it!!!

I gave up on pallets and spent about $200 for lumber. I built enough racks to hold about 20 cords.

I put in a walk + when we first got the house 7 years ago. It was pretty tough, and I haven't gotten any younger, for sure. Those pavers are surprisingly expensive. And then, nobody will ever see it!!!

Back to making compost I guess. LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.