Stacking around compost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
I bought the land that abuts to my property this summer and am still trying to configure it. It has a nice open area that I will grow vegetables in this summer, so I started my compost stalls at the end of this past season. I have also been seasoning wood there as it gets good sun and wind.

My son and I have noticed this winter how perfect the land is for sledding, but the wood stacks and compost make for obstacles. I am thinking of consolidating by stacking the wood around the compost stalls. My conundrum is that while the heat produced by the composting may help season the wood, it is also a place where I encourage rotting to happen. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of this idea?

20201230_094246.jpg 20201230_094252.jpg 20201230_094639.jpg 20201230_094654.jpg

Unless your wood is stacked right on top of the compost pile I doubt it will affect the seasoning of the firewood in any way . . . and even then it would be doubtful.

In the same way I do not imagine having firewood stacked nearby a compost pile will cause it to all rot away unless you are strewing composted materials all over the firewood . . . and even then I suspect those materials would simply dry out in time.

The rotting occurs within your compost pile only, so you’re good.

A few thoughts from me doing a lot of composting....

First, check out Charles Dowding channel at Youtube. Such as:

There you will see how the best compost bins actually have solid walls to keep in the heat of the compost (yes, they will still get plenty of air).

While there is "some" heat from a warm compost pile, that is pretty limited and probably will not dry your wood. Since for wood to dry, it needs to actually move moisture away from the wood (which requires times, heat and air movement (such as wind)). And wood crammed up against a compost pile will experience heat from the compost, but because compost is a process of micro organisms respiring (i.e. the are producing moisture), your wood against the compost bin is more likely get more moisture around it than drawn away from it, so is more likely to rot than dry.