Stacking Firewood Over Weeds/Grass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonross14

Oct 10, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
Hi everyone! I am an occasional to moderate burner (1-1.5 cords/season). I buy my firewood a year in advance to let it dry (since I don't trust when they say it's dry!) so the wood I'm buying is for the 2019-2020 winter. This summer my wife and I had our first baby so I was a bit preoccupied and I neglected to maintain my secondary stacking area. Some of the grass from the front yard has spread to this area and there are also several low weeds growing.

I am wondering... as long as the firewood is raised on planks, do I need to worry about the weeds or grass underneath preventing the wood from drying properly, or even making the wood wetter? I assume anything underneath the wood will die quickly and will not regrow next summer. I'd much rather be spending my weekend time with my new daughter, but if you think it's absolutely crucial that I remove the weeds and grass from this area I will do it. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I am an occasional to moderate burner (1-1.5 cords/season). I buy my firewood a year in advance to let it dry (since I don't trust when they say it's dry!) so the wood I'm buying is for the 2019-2020 winter. This summer my wife and I had our first baby so I was a bit preoccupied and I neglected to maintain my secondary stacking area. Some of the grass from the front yard has spread to this area and there are also several low weeds growing.

I am wondering... as long as the firewood is raised on planks, do I need to worry about the weeds or grass underneath preventing the wood from drying properly, or even making the wood wetter? I assume anything underneath the wood will die quickly and will not regrow next summer. I'd much rather be spending my weekend time with my new daughter, but if you think it's absolutely crucial that I remove the weeds and grass from this area I will do it. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

IMHO, I don't think it will matter as long as it's off the ground, you could always hit it with some round-up first.

As long as the wood is up on a pallet, stringers or whatever method you choose the grass will not be an issue. It will die off anyways and be a non issue. Some grass may grow up alongside the stack, but you can hit that with the weedbeater if you want . . . or not. It will not make much of a difference.

I use the weed wacker around the perimeter of my stacks. Lots of ground water here, I do have a layer of impermeable plastic as part of my flooring system to keep water from coming up form below. Most folks here don't seem to need a water impermeable floor.

don't worry about it. it might not die off, but it won't get a ton of sun to grow.... i tried to throw down some mulch in between mine, but all it did was help me see that the weeds were encroaching!