stacking pics please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
been doing this for 3 years now and still can not stack that great

can you please post pics of your stacks... and maybe some tips and tricks

This was last years stack

freewood.jpg

Stevebass4 said:
been doing this for 3 years now and still can not stack that great

can you please post pics of your stacks... and maybe some tips and tricks

This was last years stack

freewood.jpg

wow.....
make a wall on each end by stacking n/s and e/w then fill in between just take the time to find even splits when building the e/w n/s part i often use green wood because it is so heavy

Your piles look decent. Looks like you have some pretty short pieces, maybe 14 inches or so. That makes it a little more difficult but you seem to be on your way. Spend some time browsing through the gallery and you might see something you like.

https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/misc/index.html

BTW, I tried a Holz twice this year and didn't have very good luck. The second I really took my time with and it still fell so unless you want to spend more time than its worth, stick with your current method.

Tripper

I stack best between two trees with 2x6's on blocks.

I killed a few trees stacking wood up against them.

How did that happen?

Some sort of fungus attacked the bark wherever the firewood was touching it.

Learn to box the ends. A level layer one direction, then a level layer the other- do not double up wood in a layer like I thought saw with your stacks. Use the straightest/longest wood in the pile for this- longer splits make more stable stacks. Otherwise- you will need some sort of post at each end to hold the pile upright.

As said above- piling against a tree may kill it for the same reason that piling mulch against a tree trunk may kill it (albeit slowly) because of rot/fungus issues.

That is a lovely picture. NOthing like seeing nicely stacked wood.

My only question would be - what about the bugs? That table and chair set is awfully close to the wood and I know that in the summer here all sorts of insects live in and around wood. I keep our piles away from the house so the bugs can do their thing. They are good company. Always leave in the fall when temps. drop. They also know not to come inside. %-P

CowboyAndy said:
Wow, you put mine to shame!!
WOW! That's got to be at least a ten legged bucking horse. What length logs do you cut in that?

I can do eight footers in my six legger. Wouldn't want to hoist up more than eight footers.

Start with level ground, a straight row of pallets, and a nice end stack and then go from there. Only stack about 4 feet high to prevent blowouts.

My stack here is 96 feet long, 4' tall, and three feet wide.

Attachments

• wood2s.JPG
    wood2s.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 772
Highbeam said:
Start with level ground, a straight row of pallets...
Cripes, you must have used a laser transit to line that up!

I don't really have any level ground. I spent most of the day yesterday clearing brush so I could stack between trees. Then I read this thread. :down:
Now onto plan B. What was plan B ? lol

I stack between trees, I haven't had a problem with fungus. Also I can't the the ends, I use metal fence posts. This year it was half stacked half piled. I have to admit the stacks dry better.

Dill said:
I stack between trees...Also I can't the the ends, I use metal fence posts.

???

LLigetfa said:
CowboyAndy said:
Wow, you put mine to shame!!
WOW! That's got to be at least a ten legged bucking horse. What length logs do you cut in that?

I can do eight footers in my six legger. Wouldn't want to hoist up more than eight footers.
I use it for limbs and branches, usually nothing over 2-3". Generally they are 6' long. The smaller ones I cut 3-4 at a time. Its a real back saver.

I like building "cribs". Use pallets for the bottom, run up supports on the sides, and angle a support at each corner. The 2x4's leaning against the crib can be removed, as it supports itself, I just hadn't got around to it yet when I took the picture. I have several of these. They stand kinda high, but I just pull my truck up to it and pull off the top first. Seasoning doesn't seem to be an issue, as my wood looks dry and "cracked up" I cut my lengths in 18" lengths and stack three rows deep, or as my pallet allows.
This rack is 4'x8'x16', so its easy to say this rack hold 4 cords. Nice and neat, too!

12.jpg
[/img]

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/matthewt3243/wood/12.jpg

Good stuff. Highbeam always makes me feel like a friggin slob when he posts pics of that pile. If I had that thing- I'd charge admission to see it. Jerk :)

Matt- nice setup, easy to cover too. Does the stuff in the middle dry well?

I do something similar to mattrookie (only I don't stack nearly as high)-see my post "this morning's work." Free pallets are your friends.

you don't have to feel bad about your wood stacks,

this is a picture of my emergency wood Pile. If I have to use it to make it through the winter I will but if I don't I dont.

its a pretty simple design 3 pallets wide x 5 pallets long and on the down hill side 2 rows of wood stacked the long ways uphill side has 1 row the long way and then many cross rows of wood from upper side to lower side.

make shift tarp over some of the top and there ya go.
Not pretty but very functional.
5347330254_large.jpg

My primary Pile is in the garage right next to the Wood Boiler Room, this pile is 6 rows deep and has alternate rows of big splits small rounds so I can mix load the fire box.
it
5347330255_medium.jpg

very nice pics guys!! and thanks for the ideas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.