Stacking short splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt82

Dec 29, 2019
Manchester Md.
Hello fellow firewood addicts. I recently got a huge dumptrailer load of white oak. Problem is,it was a huge tree maybe 30 inches or bigger so most of the trunk rounds were cut around 10-12 inches. I'm splitting these wider than I normally would because of the shortness. My question is anybody have any creative ,sturdy ways to stack short splits?

Attachments

• 20191222_114726.jpg
    20191222_114726.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 226
I usually throw all of my shorts, uglies and scraps between two regular stacks.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I do as randybobandy. I cut my wood at 18" and stack two rows deep on pallets. I throw uglies and awkward crotch pieces in between and it helps keep stacks stable.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
I cut18” as well. Two of my wood sheds will hold three stacks with 2 ugly rows per shed. One wood shed out back holds 4 rows of regular stacks with 3 ugly rows in between. I burn my uglies and shorts on the weekends when I’m around to fill the stove more often. Over night and work day loads get 18” packed tight.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Shorts, uglies and pieces go into the UBC crates.
White oak is great burning wood. Too bad bucked so thin. It looks like that would be a lot of shorts for you.
As you mentioned consider noodling (&/ or splitting) to width and length (e.g. 5" x 18") . A lot of extra work and mess, but otherwise lots of shorts that are PIA too.
I'm sure others will chime in.

I just mix the shorts, two end to end in my regular pile. If I had to stack just shorts I would just stake pallets for the ends and stack the as many rows as a could in 4 feet, would not stack above pallet. As a bonus I can load my F400 N-S with the short pieces.
Evan

Hello fellow firewood addicts. I recently got a huge dumptrailer load of white oak. Problem is,it was a huge tree maybe 30 inches or bigger so most of the trunk rounds were cut around 10-12 inches. I'm splitting these wider than I normally would because of the shortness. My question is anybody have any creative ,sturdy ways to stack short splits?
I like to throw my shorts in cages. I use welded wire fence round cages, but anything that supports itself and can be covered is good.

I call them "stubs" or "shorties" and are 8-9inches. I loosely stack them in a pile and cover and they tend to season quicker. They allow me to load N/S on the bottom in a top/down fire start in my Hampton 300.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
My punks (punky, marginal wood), chunks (short wood) and uglies (wood with crotches, bends, etc.) either get thrown on top of my stacks, in the middle of the two row stacks or I toss it into a separate pile for "camp fire" wood.

I get some odd short stuff. I just stack it in my stacks with the rest, end to end. I double stack, and try to leave a couple inches in between, so have some room to work with.

I have a load of shorties also, Im going to take 5ft high metal wire fencing and make round cylinders on top of a pallet and just free throw them in there.. mini silo stacks.

They go into my bonfire pit. I can't stand trying to integrate them in with my normal good stuff. Drives me nuts and makes me feel like I may actually have OCD

I just put them in my regular stacks, but put two front to back where one normal sized split would go. They fit well like that. I've never had a problem with stability.

I have a load of shorties also, Im going to take 5ft high metal wire fencing and make round cylinders on top of a pallet and just free throw them in there.. mini silo stacks.
Wind blows through really well.

Sounds like a good idea, but what’s your plan for getting the wood out of there if it’s 5 feet deep wrapped in chicken wire?

I throw them off to the side then stack them at the top of the pile. Then throw the really gnarly short misshapen ones on top of the tarps that cover the stacks.

I throw them off to the side then stack them at the top of the pile. Then throw the really gnarly short misshapen ones on top of the tarps that cover the stacks.
Me too re: throwing them on the top of the stacks. However, i might try out the silo gig this summer.

make a holzhauesen , bigger regular splits for the outside walls and toss the smaller pieces in the middle

make a holzhauesen , bigger regular splits for the outside walls and toss the smaller pieces in the middle
I've done this twice.

Tons of effort, and the middle did not dry well. Plus, tons of rodents lived inside, and "seasoned" my firewood in their very special way.

So, I'm off the holzhausen kick.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have three holzhausens left. I will not be doing them again. They look cool but the middle does not dry fast enough.

Hmmmm, I have one going on 2 yrs now but I haven't broken it open to see whats going on inside. With my luck its probably all moldy.
I agree a lot of work to make but they sure are nice to look at.