Stacking short splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cattle panels are a lot easier to make these. Granted they cost more....but its a lot easier to reuse a cattle panel than a bunch of short sections of wire.

Cattle panels are a lot easier to make these. Granted they cost more....but its a lot easier to reuse a cattle panel than a bunch of short sections of wire.
Cattle panels or chain link would be my choice for this task if I were buying the materials. I happened to have the welded wire fencing, which because it was rolled, had a built-in round form. I'd also make them square, with one side removable, to make getting to the wood a bit easier.

When they make cages and fill them with rocks, for retaining walls and such, I guess it's called a gabion. I'm a big fan of the firewood gabion.

Cattle panels or chain link would be my choice for this task if I were buying the materials. I happened to have the welded wire fencing, which because it was rolled, had a built-in round form. I'd also make them square, with one side removable, to make getting to the wood a bit easier.

When they make cages and fill them with rocks, for retaining walls and such, I guess it's called a gabion. I'm a big fan of the firewood gabion.

I use them filled with rock for corner and line post also. They last forever.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I use them filled with rock for corner and line post also. They last forever.
Could you provide a little more detail, please? I need to set some corner posts, and would prefer not to cast concrete.

Like, how do you make the wire form, how big, what shape, how deep, and what size stone are they filled with?

Thanks!

Could you provide a little more detail, please? I need to set some corner posts, and would prefer not to cast concrete.

Like, how do you make the wire form, how big, what shape, how deep, and what size stone are they filled with?

I use cattle panels because i have some big rocks and they wont fall through the 4x4 holes but you can use plain ole chicken wire which is cheaper and will hold smaller rock in also. With cattle panels just lay it flat on ground with one end against a tree or anything to keep it from sliding. Grab opposite end and lift it up and bring it to the end against tree....overlap a couple squares and tie off with some good wire to form your circle...this part helps to jave a extra hand. I used 12 guage wire. Roll it to where you will be putting the corner....drive a t post on inside of the cattle panel on each side you want to tie your barbed wire. Fill with rock. No digging. The panel and weight from rock holds the t post so you can pull from it. A 16 ft cattle panel makes a roughly 5 ft diameter circle wjich will b heavy enough to allow you to get the barb wire stretched good n tight. I have seen people make them outta chicken wire which can hold smaller rock in. If you want to do this just drive 4 t post in a circle. I would make them about 4 ft diameter if a corner post or 3 if a brace post. Make sure and put post in line with your fence. Take the chicken wire and go around the 4 posts a couple times tying it off as you go. Throw the rock in and there ya go...a corner post that wont burn, your kids will never have to pull out and replace, and can hold a mac truck. The pic below is one i built after building a new house. I wasnt quite done filling with rock and i used old stop sign post in place of t post because it was free. You can see i put the big rocks thst wouldnt fall through on the outside and i puzzeled them together because tgey are on edge of yard.
Resized952018121795093609.jpg

If you google rock corner post it will give you better pics and different styles.

I use cattle panels because i have some big rocks and they wont fall through the 4x4 holes but you can use plain ole chicken wire which is cheaper and will hold smaller rock in also. With cattle panels just lay it flat on ground with one end against a tree or anything to keep it from sliding. Grab opposite end and lift it up and bring it to the end against tree....overlap a couple squares and tie off with some good wire to form your circle...this part helps to jave a extra hand. I used 12 guage wire. Roll it to where you will be putting the corner....drive a t post on inside of the cattle panel on each side you want to tie your barbed wire. Fill with rock. No digging. The panel and weight from rock holds the t post so you can pull from it. A 16 ft cattle panel makes a roughly 5 ft diameter circle wjich will b heavy enough to allow you to get the barb wire stretched good n tight. I have seen people make them outta chicken wire which can hold smaller rock in. If you want to do this just drive 4 t post in a circle. I would make them about 4 ft diameter if a corner post or 3 if a brace post. Make sure and put post in line with your fence. Take the chicken wire and go around the 4 posts a couple times tying it off as you go. Throw the rock in and there ya go...a corner post that wont burn, your kids will never have to pull out and replace, and can hold a mac truck. The pic below is one i built after building a new house. I wasnt quite done filling with rock and i used old stop sign post in place of t post because it was free. You can see i put the big rocks thst wouldnt fall through on the outside and i puzzeled them together because tgey are on edge of yard.
View attachment 254896

If you google rock corner post it will give you better pics and different styles.
You are on whole 'nother level, my man!

I'm just trying to set some 4 strand low tensile electric fence corners for my garden, the fence might be 100'x100'. The 8' t-posts driven directly into the ground almost do the job.

Your corner posts are epic!

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Oooooooooooh lol:p. Well you could build them a lot smaller in diameter for that. Sorry i was thinkin bout livestock fence. Since that is what you are needing them for maybe build a smaller 18" diameter circle out of 6' welded wire with the small 2x4 openings and place it where the 8' t post driven 2' in the ground is in the center of it and fill it with rocks. Once full it will cover t post and the post will stiffen it so it cant fall over. Then just run the low tensile fencing around outside edges of it and tie it off. Just a idea.

Oooooooooooh lol:p. Well you could build them a lot smaller in diameter for that. Sorry i was thinkin bout livestock fence. Since that is what you are needing them for maybe build a smaller 18" diameter circle out of 6' welded wire with the small 2x4 openings and place it where the 8' t post driven 2' in the ground is in the center of it and fill it with rocks. Once full it will cover t post and the post will stiffen it so it cant fall over. Then just run the low tensile fencing around outside edges of it and tie it off. Just a idea.

It's a great idea, would look very nice and appropriate in this context. I have just the pile of rocks that have been waiting to find a more permanent home...

Reactions: Grizzerbear