• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sushine617

Jan 9, 2023
Hey guys having problems with my englander 25 pdvc. I have what I have researched to be creosote level 3. ( looks like tar ) everywhere inside the unit. The exhaust fan, piping, burn box. It ain't good. Will creosote remover help? I'm trying to get it clean so it will actually light instead of filling with smoke and popping a flame on and off.. what can I use to break down the creosote so I can clean the stove completely...

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Have you tried CSL Pellet Stove Cleaner?,
I just purchased a box after looking up reviews on this forum. They claim to be able to convert the wet creosote to dry flake which can be taken off with a brush. I purchased mine from Amazon for around $12.

Have you tried CSL Pellet Stove Cleaner?,
I just purchased a box after looking up reviews on this forum. They claim to be able to convert the wet creosote to dry flake which can be taken off with a brush. I purchased mine from Amazon for around $12.
I have not yet! I googled some products to see what there was if any products but was unsure if there were any good home remedies to try first!

Have you tried CSL yet?

I have not yet! I googled some products to see what there was if any products but was unsure if there were any good home remedies to try first!

Have you tried CSL yet?Ist put in a half box last week, they recommend a cup every week after. I ran Clearfire which has vegetable oil added, it sorted up my Harman something awful. It looks like it may be working, brushing out the stove yesterday did seem to take off more of the coating. I haven't looked at the flue pipe as of yet. There is a few responses on this site for the product when searched.

Rutland creosote remover will turn it to vacccumable dust, but it needs to be applied to a good bed of coals first. If everything is coated in level 3 you may be risking a chimney fire just getting to a bed of coals.
Then figure out how it is forming level 3 so badly. My furnace always has level 3 on the ash door but everything else burns hot enough to keep clean or at least level 2.

Rutland creosote remover will turn it to vacccumable dust, but it needs to be applied to a good bed of coals first. If everything is coated in level 3 you may be risking a chimney fire just getting to a bed of coals.
Then figure out how it is forming level 3 so badly. My furnace always has level 3 on the ash door but everything else burns hot enough to keep clean or at least level 2.
I'm going to have too. I don't know if water somehow got into the pipe which caused it and I dont have the stove running hot enough which I hear helps break down creosote. Will that stop the smoke from building in the pellet stove and causing the poof?

exhaust passages inside the stove. The incoming air also. Or perhaps there is an issue with your damper setting or blower

exhaust passages inside the stove. The incoming air also. Or perhaps there is an issue with your damper setting or blower
How would I clean the exhaust passages? Also how would I check the incoming air and blower motor? What is a damper setting? How do I find that out?
Sorry for all the questions!

How long have you had this stove?
Do you have a manual?
Have you ever done the maintenance as per the manual?

How long have you had this stove?
Do you have a manual?
Have you ever done the maintenance as per the manual?
The stove was there when we moved in actually 4 years to the day! I can check the manual. Not sure if I have one. I've cleaned it but unsure of any maintenance needing to be done.

Start with a full cleaning as per the manual
This stove is not going to be easy to clean
the creosote will have to be cleaned by any means possible
scrap off as much as possible. If the chimney pipes are full of
creosote remove them take them outside shove a big wad
of newspaper in one end support the pipe tilted up and set
her on fire this will burn the creosote out making it into dust
The pipe will get extremely hot. I can remember my Grand Father
doing this twice a winter with the stove pipes that snaked through
the old farmhouse some 65 years ago. When the creosote caught
fire sounded like a freight train. Wish you luck you have a dirty job
ahead of you. Now you know pellet stoves are not plug-and-play they
have to be maintained.
Manual here

Reactions: Mt Bob and spuldup
Start with a full cleaning as per the manual
This stove is not going to be easy to clean
the creosote will have to be cleaned by any means possible
scrap off as much as possible. If the chimney pipes are full of
The pipe will get extremely hot. I can remember my Grand Father
doing this twice a winter with the stove pipes that snaked through
the old farmhouse some 65 years ago. When the creosote caught
fire sounded like a freight train. Wish you luck you have a dirty job
ahead of you. Now you know pellet stoves are not plug-and-play they
have to be maintained.
Manual here
Fantastic!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!! How do I get the spots that are not easily accessible? Like behind the plate in between the grates?

... If the chimney pipes are full of
The pipe will get extremely hot...
Probably not in *any* manual but I appreciate the method. Keeps it safe by removing from the home and gets the job done. Cheers to your grandpa.

Get as much as you can. When you are done and satisfied fire it up, a good hot fire
and it will dry out and turn to dust then clean the stove again. After 4 years of not
having a yearly full cleaning, you are now paying for it, Sorry but no way around it.
My 21-year-old stove is cleaned and serviced every spring never had a major problem
or any creosote. I wish you luck