Stain for exposed deck posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ben94122

Burning Hunk
Sep 4, 2017
California
I have some exterior posts (and beam ends) under my new deck. Is there a product (or combination of products) that will protect them for 20 years?

I don't rely on Consumer Reports typically but they apparently did a much-touted review of stains that I think you can find without having to pay for it.
Many will tell you that Sikkens is the best but I have no personal experience with it.
I use Flood's best semi-transparent but don't really have anything to compare it with as far as performance. I do like that its an oil stain that allows soap/water clean up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben94122
Go to http://www.solventfreepaint.com and spend a good amount of time becoming familiar with, and reading some of their articles. The feature old time all natural linseed oil based paints from Sweden. They talk about a 50 year life span. I have redone all my decking with their products.

Reactions: ben94122