Stains that only show up when hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
My jotul is creme colored, (see avatar) and is beautiful when cold but when it heats up to temp (usually run it at 350 to 400 ) there are small brown stains and blemishes that show up that were not there before. Anyone else have this occur on their stove? Its not a big deal but is kind of odd

Weird. It's an older stove, but still maybe worth a call to Jotul? Surely they've seen something similar before, although may not have an remedy.

The stains don't look like they are a manufacturing defect but from something being splashed or spilled on the stove they kind of look like rusty water spots and runs. I don't know if I should try to wash them off while the stove is at temp though. I don't want to hurt the finish or the metal itself (thermal shock?) I might try some hot water on the areas that i know the spots were and see if show up after the next warm up of the stove

Was there any touch up paint used on this stove?

If any of the mysterious appearing/disappearing stains look like the Madonna, you could get a fortune for that stove on eBay. ;lol

Yes, it was straight from jotul , but the spots are not where the touch up paint was used. It is weird when the stove is cold the finish is beautiful, but when hot shows the stains.

some times the touch up paint can do what you are describing. i am at a loss for what else could be doing it....are you the first owner of the stove? any chance the previous owner used touch up on it?

If any of the mysterious appearing/disappearing stains look like the Madonna, you could get a fortune for that stove on eBay. ;lol

Had a mouthful of coffee. Came very close to having to wipe it off the screen. :)

Just make sure the listing terms include, "Get It While It's Hot!" ;lol

some times the touch up paint can do what you are describing. i am at a loss for what else could be doing it....are you the first owner of the stove? any chance the previous owner used touch up on it?

Or the dealer?

No, the previous owner didn't treat the finish of the stove very nice....it was chipped in alot of places. So I know he didn't use any touch up paint on it. But he must have splashed something on it. I will have to take before and after pics and post them

Status
Not open for further replies.