Starburst thornless honey locust.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This has hl1.jpg to be one of the heaviest and hardest wood i've ever cut and split. Split a pile today 18 feet long,5 feet high and about 10 feet wide.

Attachments

• hl2.jpg
    hl2.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 356
  • hl3.jpg
    hl3.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 357
  • hl4.jpg
    hl4.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 1,176
That's a nice pile. I'm still waiting for my honey locust to dry. Got some on tap for 19-20 and 20-21. I hear it burns like coal once properly dried, hot and forever.

Reactions: kennyp2339
That's a nice pile. I'm still waiting for my honey locust to dry. Got some on tap for 19-20 and 20-21. I hear it burns like coal once properly dried, hot and forever.
It does! Its hard to come by around here and I used the last of my stash last year...it was a sad day..lol

We have tons of it in upstate NY, therefore I have a lot in my stacks. Have yet to really get into burning any of it, probably a bit this year. Not sure what the difference between sunburst honey locust is and regular honey locust. I have a big one in my yard that's thornless. Someday it will probably end up being firewood...

Reactions: baseroom
We have tons of it in upstate NY, therefore I have a lot in my stacks. Have yet to really get into burning any of it, probably a bit this year. Not sure what the difference between sunburst honey locust is and regular honey locust. I have a big one in my yard that's thornless. Someday it will probably end up being firewood...
One BIG difference no huge thorns to deal with,also this seems much much denser and heavier.Probably take two years to dry.

I'm still waiting for my honey locust to dry. Got some on tap for 19-20 and 20-21. I hear it burns like coal
Its true, burnt a cord of it last year around x-mas during a extreme cold blast, you wont be disappointed

Does that mean if it doesn't have thorns then it's a sunburst honey locust?

I planted two at the old place and have two existing at the new, none have thorns. Scored a medium - large one a few years ago for firewood and no thorns on that one either. They were cross bred for decorative yard trees and were bred to be thorn less. I am always surprised how fast they grow if they have a good location. Almost as fast as black locust.

Does that mean if it doesn't have thorns then it's a sunburst honey locust?

The sunburst is a thornless honey locust tree,i didn't even know there was a thornless honey locust tree until just recently.
I do now know it's heavier and more dense than any locust i've dealt with previously. And in my opinion heavier than oak or hickory and definitely harder.

Reactions: heavy hammer
nice looking stuff looks, looks very dense. I'm sure it will be great heat.

image.jpeg image.jpeg I was able to pick up some black locust from someone who had a big section of one fall from the last storm.

Yes one of the best in my opinion.

Reactions: Lakeside
The sunburst is a thornless honey locust tree,i didn't even know there was a thornless honey locust tree until just recently.
I do now know it's heavier and more dense than any locust i've dealt with previously. And in my opinion heavier than oak or hickory and definitely harder.
I love locust. Honey locust when really dry will pop like Osage. It's almost impossible to open the stove door until it's down to coal stage. Great stuff!