Started An Early Shoulder Season Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's to hoping the weather prevents me from posting my own "first fire of the season" thread for another 6-8 weeks.

But for those that are burning already, glad you are warm!

I feel ya BAR,,,,,Its not about being warm right now , its about fueling an addiction and seeing some of that hard work all summer flickering in the new stove.

Reactions: firecracker_77
As much as I like to have a fire in my stove as all the other members do, after the HOTT!!!!! DRY!!!!! summer we have had I will gladly take some lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's. Usually don't start burning until highs hits high 50's low 60's with rain. I ABSOLUTELY HATE SUMMER. Will it ever end. Come on good ol winter time.==c

As much as I like to have a fire in my stove as all the other members do, after the HOTT!!!!! DRY!!!!! summer we have had I will gladly take some lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's. Usually don't start burning until highs hits high 50's low 60's with rain. I ABSOLUTELY HATE SUMMER. Will it ever end. Come on good ol winter time.==c[/quot

For sure it was a brutal summer. For me its seeing a new stove purchased this summer in action. I also painted my insert and surround with a brown stove paint and evertime i hit a new high it smokes. Last fire stove top temp weas 800, ill not want to purposely hit that high again but hey as of now im a rookie and learning a new stove.

Have a small fire going right now - just love watching it.

Fire 2012-09-08.jpg

Did the break-in fire Thursday.

Yesterday, had the stove running full bore at 550 to cure the fresh coat of paint and allow for outgassing with the windows open - 60 degrees outside.

We are going to love this stove. It takes a good hour for the stone to heat up and radiate into the room but on the other hand it was still radiating heat at 300 degrees three hours after it had burnt to a bed of coals.

Like a kid, I kept going outside to look at the chimney because there simply wasn't any visible smoke - very cool.

It takes a good hour for the stone to heat up and radiate into the room
Once you get used to the stove, you will be able to cut that time down by about 15 to 30 minutes.

Yesterday, had the stove running full bore at 550 to cure the fresh coat of paint and allow for outgassing with the windows open - 60 degrees outside.

We are going to love this stove. It takes a good hour for the stone to heat up and radiate into the room but on the other hand it was still radiating heat at 300 degrees three hours after it had burnt to a bed of coals.

Like a kid, I kept going outside to look at the chimney because there simply wasn't any visible smoke - very cool.

BB has a good thread on how to get that stove up to temp. I'm burning right now and don't want hot stone so much. More enjoying the smell outside and the sights

I don't mess with fires till it's getting in the mid 30s at night... another 2-3 weeks I'd guess

Otherwise it gets WAY too hot in the house and it wastes wood. I don't mind spending a few $$s on natural gas during the shoulder season.

I lit one this morning. I reinstalled the little CFM in the family cabin and had to relearn it with the new setup. I just had a neighbor drop by and say, "You're not getting any smoke out there. I smell it a little outside though." I'm happy with it, but I need it to get a little colder. The cabin is 75 already. I think I'll open the windows a bit. It's a rough problem to have.

Matt

I had to open up all the windows when it started touching on 80.

I walked over to the neighbors cabin and it's cool inside... probably in the high 50s. I told them they need a woodstove.

Matt

Reactions: etiger2007
A high of 60 yesterday...and low of 38 last night provided a good opportunity for a break in fire with the T6 (pic below). Paint smell wasn't that bad at all. Looks like a potential frost tonight...but will certainly hold off on any true shoulder season fires until the 2nd half of the month.

firstfire.jpg

Justin

Looking good!

I see no good reason for a stove to take an hour to heat up and radiate into the room. We heat only with our soapstone stove and it surely does not take an hour. Perhaps you are trying to be too careful?

New to soapstone, I'll be more aggressive after a few more burns.

Im glad I tried to have a fire the other night, well the fire that never happened. I loaded up some kindling and when I lit it the firebox filled up with smoke. I cleaned the ss liner a couple weeks ago from the top down and I thought the liner was pretty clean, I just wanted to hone in my cleaning skills. Well Sunday after talking to Begreen I took the air tubes out and baffle and realized that I had a hell of alot more creosote build up than I thought. I would say about a coffee can size amount on the baffel ( a real fine powder creosote) from cleaning the liner thus the smoke could not go up the chimney. Well I got that all cleaned out and was able to look up the liner from inside the insert and the liner is clean from bottom to top. So lesson learned I will always take the baffle out when I clean the liner ( and buy a soot eater) I will get the pour in liner insulation either this fall or next summer. That also tells me in the 2 years of using the stove I never cleaned it properly probably cleaning down to the first bend in the liner.Thanks BeGreen for all your help.

Unless we get an unusually cold fall I have a good 2 months to go yet. I wait until the daytime highs are below 50, otherwise its too easy to overheat the place. That and we are on cheap summer natgas rates until Oct 30.

Still a bit early for me . . . but the other day my wife mentioned about lighting a fire. I suppose I need to do my pre-season cleaning routine since I think I will be burning sooner rather than later.

I will admit . . . yesterday with football on the TV it didn't feel quite right to be watching the game without a fire in the woodstove.

Another wet miserable day, so thought I would burn a bit of the scrappy wood and cheer the place up a bit :)

Photo0284.jpg

Go have a small fire in your workshop with a few Yuenglings. I am extremely jealous of those who have access to Yuengling. I cannot get that where I live, and it is my favorite average priced beer.

For a corn beer, it's not the worst out there. Maybe you can get Molsen Golden or Rolling Rock in your area... both are similarly-priced corn beers, IIRC. Sure beats rice beer (Miller, Coors, Bud, etc.). I don't think you can buy any true barley beer under $50 these days.

$50? Is that keg price?

Case price. Sam Adams is sort of the minimum bar on that measure. I don't know of a cheaper beer that uses 100% barley (no corn or rice filler).

The Abbey (Trappist style) ales have recently become very popular here, and typical price is $85 for a case of Abbey Dubbel ale, or $110 for a case of Abbey Tripel ale. Sounds excessive, until you're the one hooked on them. <> Most of our local bars have switched over either partially or entirely to selling craft ales, and are taking a lot of business away from the few bars that haven't caught on yet.

Keep in mind, beer and alcohol is outrageously priced in PA. Drinking in this state sucks.

For a corn beer, it's not the worst out there. Maybe you can get Molsen Golden or Rolling Rock in your area... both are similarly-priced corn beers, IIRC. Sure beats rice beer (Miller, Coors, Bud, etc.). I don't think you can buy any true barley beer under $50 these days.

I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to beer. I don't like IPA or wheat beer at all. I like Moosehead, Molson, Yuengling, Tsingtao, and a few other lager beers like that. A good dark german beer or a Guiness are good too. Never really cared for the Sam Adams style beers.

Case price. Sam Adams is sort of the minimum bar on that measure. I don't know of a cheaper beer that uses 100% barley (no corn or rice filler).

The Abbey (Trappist style) ales have recently become very popular here, and typical price is $85 for a case of Abbey Dubbel ale, or $110 for a case of Abbey Tripel ale. Sounds excessive, until you're the one hooked on them. <> Most of our local bars have switched over either partially or entirely to selling craft ales, and are taking a lot of business away from the few bars that haven't caught on yet.

I can't afford that. I'll generally drink 2 or 3 beers in the evening. That's too much for a case.

Time to start brewing your own, much cheaper and better tasting.

I'll be having fire later this week to get the stink out of the new BK.

... and it comes around full-circle. Nothing beats enjoying your favorite beverage by the fire's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.