Starter Gel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
For many years I have used the Imperial starter gel from Lowes. It was the very best. I could literally add pellets add some gel and light it and leave for work. Lit every time with out fail. Then last season they changed it, it is in a larger white bottle instead of black and super thick like the cheap stuff. It also smelled like nasty corn alcohol. I contacted Imperial and they sent me 6 new bottles. They smelled like the old stuff but way to thick. I ended up thinning it down with denatured alcohol to get to the proper consistency. The super thick stuff just sits on top of the pellets and burns up. A little thinner it get down in the pellets and lights flawlessly. I am not about to start stirring it in after not having to for 12 plus years. Anyone else have a good gel that they found? I dont want to mess with the torch. I keep an easy set up so my wife can start the stove when needed with no trouble.
This is for my St Croix. Harman is auto ignition

Reactions: ARC
I've always used Rutland Fire starter gel . Usually get it at local ACE Hardware or TSC.. This works for me, Insert pellets, apply gel, mix it quick, apply a squirt more on top and ignite.... Plenty of alcohol based hand sanitizer around you could try that, others have said..I prefer the gel..

Reactions: scajjr2 and ARC
For many years I have used the Imperial starter gel from Lowes. It was the very best. I could literally add pellets add some gel and light it and leave for work. Lit every time with out fail. Then last season they changed it, it is in a larger white bottle instead of black and super thick like the cheap stuff. It also smelled like nasty corn alcohol. I contacted Imperial and they sent me 6 new bottles. They smelled like the old stuff but way to thick. I ended up thinning it down with denatured alcohol to get to the proper consistency. The super thick stuff just sits on top of the pellets and burns up. A little thinner it get down in the pellets and lights flawlessly. I am not about to start stirring it in after not having to for 12 plus years. Anyone else have a good gel that they found? I dont want to mess with the torch. I keep an easy set up so my wife can start the stove when needed with no trouble.
I have two Harmans, a P-43 and an Accentra Insert. I’ve lit them both manually for years by soaking the pellets in 91% rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes or so and then using a long lighter to light the stoves. Works every time with no issues.

Btw, I’ve really enjoy reading your posts for years. Wish you were down here in Cincinnati where you could service my Harmans!

A few years ago I switched from the Imperial starter fluid to citronella/tiki torch oil. It’s quite a bit cheaper and I find it works better. But it may be a bit harder to find at this time of year.

I have two Harmans, a P-43 and an Accentra Insert. I’ve lit them both manually for years by soaking the pellets in 91% rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes or so and then using a long lighter to light the stoves. Works every time with no issues.

Btw, I’ve really enjoy reading your posts for years. Wish you were down here in Cincinnati where you could service my Harmans!
I hated lightning my P38😄. That is why I converted it to auto ignition P43. I will try your trick on my St Croix. Thanks for the tip

Gave up on starter gel for the Integra many years ago. Use this--
1669731373102.png

I've tried gel and hand sanitizer but have moved on to mixing pellets and charcoal lighter fluid in a mason jar. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of the mix in the burn pot and light.

Takes a little more prep time but works well. Bottle of lighter fluid lasts me a season.

We just open stove, cold clean things, grab a hand full of pellets, lay them in burn pot, squirt the starter gell on top, light it, let gell all get to burning, add just a few more pellets, then push stove's green "go" button, shut door. Stove will be pulling a draft upwards through the pellets with burning gell on top and those last few pellets, it will push in a few more pellets down below so leave room for them ... and very soon we have a pretty flame.

Since 1992.

good (3) 640w.jpg

I have been using Imperial Starter Gel in my Whitfield Quest for about 25 years. I just got two bottles of what turns out to be the new thicker formula. I spent half an hour last night trying to start a fire and did eventually got a fire going (normally a two minute process). Today, I completely cleaned my pellet stove thinking that the problem was not enough air. But nope! That did not help. So, here I am searching Hearth.com to see if others are having the same problem.
So, rickwai, what did you eventually settle on for starting your stove?

Have a new bottle and will see.. I have found that the flip up spout gets plugged and not much comes out. I have an older flip up lid with a larger hole that I use..

Anyone still using hand sanitizer? Worked well for the few times I used it and I still have several bottles left from when COVID was more prevalent.

• Haha
Reactions: ARC and Mt Bob
Anyone still using hand sanitizer? Worked well for the few times I used it and I still have several bottles left from when COVID was more prevalent.
Man, that stuff was like liquid gold,around here!! I guess prices have come back down. But yes, I have tried it, depends on the concentration of alcohol it has.
I'll stick with my torch for the Integra.

Clean and restart every Sunday, used one bottle of ruttland 16 years ago, came with new stove. Have used hand sanitizer since get 50 oz for $7.38 usually 2 gets me through the heating season. When it got hard to find I used charcoal lighter soaked pellets in a baby food jar for a couple minutes. Wife did not like smell but only stunk for a few minutes and only had to do it for 4 starts. Now I get my two jugs before heating season starts,

Reactions: tbear853
So I messaged Imperial Mfg. Group, that makes the starter that is now much thicker than normal.
They were very prompt to respond, and indicated that "Health Canada regulations have changed on the sale of pourable alcohol-based fuels related to safe use and for this reason, our gel had to be made thicker. We suggest stirring the gel with the pellets and then lighting it."

So, Health Canada is the source of the problem with the Starter Gel in Canada.

Been using lamp oil for years. I soak some pellets in 3 inch mini pie tin, add dry pellets to burn pot add teaspoon of soaked pellets light, let them catch for a few minutes then turn on stove. A 24 oz bottle last about 1.5 seasons.

So I messaged Imperial Mfg. Group, that makes the starter that is now much thicker than normal.
They were very prompt to respond, and indicated that "Health Canada regulations have changed on the sale of pourable alcohol-based fuels related to safe use and for this reason, our gel had to be made thicker. We suggest stirring the gel with the pellets and then lighting it."

Maybe thin it out with some alcohol.

Instead of the gel, last two starts I used liquid hand sanitizer, NY State scent, mixed it with a cup of pellets, let it sit for about 5 minutes, dumped it in the burn pot , lit it, away it went.

Maybe thin it out with some alcohol.
If you dont thin it with Denatured alcohol it is very difficult to get the stove to light. I mix 25% denatured alcohol with the Imperial gel and it is perfect.

That's funny because the stuff i buy at Canadian Tire has not changed in 5 years. Works great a quick squirt hit it with the bbq lighter and walk away..

That's funny because the stuff i buy at Canadian Tire has not changed in 5 years. Works great a quick squirt hit it with the bbq lighter and walk away..
All the stuff around here is junk including the Imperial now. It is so thick that it comes out like grape jelly. Then sits on top of the pellets and just burns out. If I mix Denatured alcohol to thin it down it lights off quick and nice. I know some are soaking pellets in diesel or kerosene. I dont want to have to mess around that much or have the smell in the house. The alcohol has nearly no smell.

I count to 30 Mississippi with a propane torch aimed at the pellets but since I have a large bottle of unused anti-covid gel in the closet I will try that next week (after the 80degF weather scheduled for Thurs. and Friday.