Starting from cold VS keep it going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Do you think it takes more wood to start a fire from cold and getting the room up to temperature, versus having an already burning fire die down to coals, and then fill it back up?

i feel like whenever i start a fire from cold, the first load is used more to heat the stove than actually heat the room.

:eek:

im trying to figure out if i can save some wood by letting the fire die off completely over night and then start it again in the morning.

It's more efficient for me to burn straight through, but my stove is real good at low and slow.

You can do it either way. How is your wife's tolerance for temperature swings?

Also, didn't we just do this thread??

Reactions: Dug8498
Better to keep it going with a few splits than to keep starting over, just burn as low as you can then load it up at night when its colder.

Reactions: Jotel me this
If you want to let it go out, you can get the stove up to temp quicker, with less wood burned, if you do a "top-down start." Put big splits in the bottom/back, a couple small splits top/front, and a little kindling on top of those. That way you get direct flame in the top of the stove to heat up the re-burn section quicker, burning less wood in the process. The wood takes a little longer to get burning if you start this way, but not too much. And the start will be less smokey outside since the flame is above the wood that is catching fire, burning the smoke more completely.

If you want to let it go out, you can get the stove up to temp quicker, with less wood burned, if you do a "top-down start." Put big splits in the bottom/back, a couple small splits top/front, and a little kindling on top of those. That way you get direct flame in the top of the stove to heat up the re-burn section quicker, burning less wood in the process. The wood takes a little longer to get burning if you start this way, but not too much. And the start will be less smokey outside since the flame is above the wood that is catching fire, burning the smoke more completely.

ahhh so thats what a top down fire is. THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssss :eek:

Heh, heh! m Now that we've settled that issue, what's a N/S fire?
That's when you load the splits aligned front to back. That may or may not correspond to actual compass direction. ;)

Another nice thing about keeping the fire going is it keeps some heat in the chimney so it is always drafting well. Some setups need is more than others.

Heh, heh! m Now that we've settled that issue, what's a N/S fire?

North South vs East West loading of wood in the firebox. some say you get longer burns EW because the air has to travel more to go between the splits. others in here have actually said NS gives them longer burns o_O

i actually do rows of NS and EW mixed. no clue if its 'bad' but it works for me.

Top down is not adding wood to coals.

Top down is putting splits on the bottom, sticks on the splits, kindling on top, and lighting the kindling so it burns down into the splits. I never liked it, but a lot of people do. (You need nice dry splits if you want the splits to have a shot at catching.)

NS means putting the wood in so that the ends of the splits are visible through the door (as if the back of the stove is the north side, and the door is the south side). Turn the wood 90° when loading so that you see the long side through the door, and that is EW (East/West) loading.

To avoid confusion on internet forums, always install wood stoves facing north and this terminology will seem less crazy. ;)