Starting from scratch (pellet stove and install)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moonbabie16

Apr 28, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ok so...it’s time to add a pellet stove and this would be a first for me,opinions would be great to aid in the process.the main area I need to heat is about 450 sq.that’s not including the rooms off the main area,which I’m assuming will not be heated by the pellet stove (Am I wrong)?trying to judge what size unit to consider. It’s a 2by4 built home “drafty“...on a crawlspace. The whole house is 1000sq with the rooms.

If the rooms have doors then you can close them off. Otherwise they will be heated. Not as much as the main area but still quite a bit.

If the rooms have doors then you can close them off. Otherwise they will be heated. Not as much as the main area but still quite a bit.
Great! that’s what I was hoping for. I’ve heard there’s also little battery operated fans that can be attached at the entrance of the room to usher in needed heat.any truth to that?

Do you have any other heat source? They also have small fans that do not need electric for they run on the top of the stove when it gets warm.. Do you want to depend on electric service?..I have been there right where you are with my very small house but only was buying a pellet stove in the beginning with no electricity for a emergency.. But I changed my mind three times all ready.. Its a hard decision but you will wind up making a good one for you and yours...clancey

Reactions: Moonbabie16
Great! that’s what I was hoping for. I’ve heard there’s also little battery operated fans that can be attached at the entrance of the room to usher in needed heat.any truth to that?
Don't go buying extra fans at this point. Every house is different. Layouts and where the stove is located is going to have the biggest impact. If the stove is blowing towards those rooms you may need to do nothing. If not usually a fan pointing out of the rooms towards the stove area will circulate the heat better than trying to blow it into the rooms, again, that is most of the time, it all depends on your layout and where the stove is located.
A rough drawing would help. Even a more detailed description. You might have options as to where the stove goes and how it's pointed and if some here could see that you will get some of the finest help in the pellet stove world.
Usually bigger is better, if the stove has decent controls for heat and air distribution. Otherwise you could just be overheating the main area and freezing in the back rooms.

small fans that do not need electric for they run on the top of the stove when it gets warm

Save your Green and don't buy them. They don't move Squat really. Nice for Show, but not going to work on Pellet Stove. Surface not hot enough.

I use Harmon XXV for our 2100sq ft. Couple of Box Fans (with filter on them) to push air down the hall. Keep hallway 74f and far laundry rm about 68f. I have AIMS 1250 Inverter with two 100ah Batteries for when power goes out (12 hours use). Longest power outage in 10 years lived here is 10 hours. I only had one 100ah Battery and used battery from our Generator for 10 hours. I have 7kw non psw generator to recharge batteries and pump and water heater. Have yet to do more than test it.

One last thing. Don't wait on Box Fans. In Winter they are almost impossible to get in Store.

As others have said, plan on buying a stove bigger than you figure you need. Much easier to reduce the amount of heat coming out of a stove than to get more than it is capable of putting out. At the very least, you will get residual heat into those side rooms.

The best placement for the stove, to get heat to other areas, is to aim the airstream correctly - it makes way more difference than one would think. I used to have a a St. Croix stove that was corner installed and it was pointed toward the far corner of the Living Room (LR). I had fans set up in the hallway and the bedroom doors to help move the heat. Iit was very noisy. When I got the P43, and was able to point it so the airstream down the hall, I totally got rid of the fans.

The natural air convection is LR to Den to Kitchen (those 3 rooms stay the warmest regardless of heating method). But the bedrooms and bathroom get plenty of heat from this stove configuration. Most of the time both bedrooms stay 2-4* under what my thermostat is set at (thermostat is located next to the door in the Den) and the bathroom stays 1-2* under (function of an unheated garage underneath BRs and half of the bath)

Main Floor Layout P43 air flow schematic.jpg

If you need fans, the placement may not be what you would think. To retain humidity, I use a tall floor fan to blow the moisture out of the bathroom and angle it toward the BR that is next to the Den. The bathroom and both bedrooms will heat up noticeably, even if the stove isn't running, while the den actually cools a bit.

Here it is ...the main area is my goal to heat (kitchen living room) but of course the rooms would be nice too.the main area and two corridors are about 425ish.the stove location is the only place I could fit it-piping is a whole other issue. 2753CF1F-C269-4A28-8AE1-DA52FE54AAC7.jpeg

Reactions: bogieb
Here it is ...the main area is my goal to heat (kitchen living room) but of course the rooms would be nice too.the main area and two corridors are about 425ish.the stove location is the only place I could fit it-piping is a whole other issue. View attachment 278358
In the 400sqft area is there a ceiling fan? If not can one be installed? Conventional thought is blowing down in summer to cool, drawing up in the winter to mix cool and warm air. Conventional is with a forced air heat/cooling system, not a space heater like a pellet stove is. In my house I get better heat distribution with the ceiling fan blowing down in winter.
You will need to experiment with your layout as to which works best for you, whether with a ceiling fan, box fans or a mix of them. You will need to monitor the temps in different areas, allow a few hours to show changes as the walls and other things need to warm or cool and that takes time. It all will affect the air temp but not anywhere near as fast as a furnace will.

Do you have any other heat source? They also have small fans that do not need electric for they run on the top of the stove when it gets warm.. Do you want to depend on electric service?..I have been there right where you are with my very small house but only was buying a pellet stove in the beginning with no electricity for a emergency.. But I changed my mind three times all ready.. Its a hard decision but you will wind up making a good one for you and yours...clancey
We’ve always depended on the electric co, but this summer we’re installing a much needed backup generator which should cover the stove aspect.

In the 400sqft area is there a ceiling fan? If not can one be installed? Conventional thought is blowing down in summer to cool, drawing up in the winter to mix cool and warm air. Conventional is with a forced air heat/cooling system, not a space heater like a pellet stove is. In my house I get better heat distribution with the ceiling fan blowing down in winter.
You will need to experiment with your layout as to which works best for you, whether with a ceiling fan, box fans or a mix of them. You will need to monitor the temps in different areas, allow a few hours to show changes as the walls and other things need to warm or cool and that takes time. It all will affect the air temp but not anywhere near as fast as a furnace will.
Got it...yes there is a ceiling fan over head in close proximity to the stove.good point!

I would think that those two rooms on the far right corner (as the picture sits) would warm up nicely just from the airflow from the stove. Maybe the room across from those too since the heat should travel down that short hall well. IMO, those two rooms to the left will be more challenging - although they should get at least some heat.

Still, it's hard to know exactly how the air will flow around a house until the stove is actually installed.. After all, everyone told me that heat rises - but not in my house :(

I would think that those two rooms on the far right corner (as the picture sits) would warm up nicely just from the airflow from the stove. Maybe the room across from those too since the heat should travel down that short hall well. IMO, those two rooms to the left will be more challenging - although they should get at least some heat.

Still, it's hard to know exactly how the air will flow around a house until the stove is actually installed.. After all, everyone told me that heat rises - but not in my house :(
Ha...the heat definitely rises in my house,I’m on a crawlspace the only Time my feet warmup is summerTime, when the house heats up for free. Go figure

There’s a room not shown on the left at the end of the corridor.would it make sense to say a stove probably wouldn’t heat all other area’s mentioned.especially since it has a cathedral ceiling and the stove would not be in line with the door.

Attachments

• 7714FBB1-9EED-4D60-8A71-9B06E28A69C9.jpeg
    7714FBB1-9EED-4D60-8A71-9B06E28A69C9.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 146
What do you mean heat don't rise bogieb--lol--you say your upstairs is cold---lol so sorry....clancey....

Okay, heat "barely" rises. My first stove, the P61a, was supposed to be the only stove I needed (which should be more than enough to heat my 950 sq/ft mian floor and 650 sq/ft basement). Heat just doesn't rise in this house - it would be 90* downstairs, but the warmest places on the main floor were 66-70* in the kitchen and LR and a cold mid 40's in the bedrooms. No door in the stairway and figured the heat would rise (if it rose, the kitchen and LR woiuld be a heck of a lot warmer being right over the basement stove, plus the stariway being there. I cut holes in the floors and put in booster fans (up and down), had floor and ceiling fans going (in every configuration possible), and it still wouldn't rise - not to mention it sounded like a wind tunnel in here. Hey, but the floors were warm anyway.

My original plan had been to put in two smaller stoves, then the stove company convinced me that the P61a would be fabulous (and to be fair, it would be for a lot of houses/configurations). Eh, I got it to work out in the long run.

kind of kidding with you bogieb but that would be frustrating and your state has some very very cold winters as well with ice pieces hanging off of roofs and stuff..One thing I hate to be cold...I asked my "to be installer-Wed" if it were possible to have pipes go to different parts of the house with a wood stove---like the old days---don't know if they did this but when I bought this house --1926--years ago they had a stove in a cubicle in the kitchen and they heated by coal (everybody says they never used coal in this house--previous owner) but I found coal pieces under the basement steps when they rotted away..but they had this very large hole that extended with some kind of piping to the one bedroom and bathroom of the house coming from one point--the kitchen stove--so I just asked if I could get piping "somehow" from my "wood stove" to the other rooms and he said "No" then I asked why are fireplaces so great then and he said that the venting extends from then going to different places of the house...---all greek to me--not up to date on this stuff--just newbie here.. Bottom line is "why heat just one small porch when I want to heat the whole house about 23x23 and a added porch 16x5 feet and now a added wood heater room 8x16 so I got French Doors and I sure hope that I can urge these "heat waves" to go in the right direction and If not I will be cold too and say "heat don't rise here either". But in my case I only got this for a emergency if everything should go to h--- because I have a stand by generator that I just love and that is my first defense---so I will be warm...plus my "new wood stove" has two cooking areas and at least I will be able to heat soup and coffee if I learn how to do all of this stuff that is very new to me...There is a real learning curve with this stuff and I have been picking up information from this delightful forum with its delightful people....Wed is the day...Hey new friend get two stoves --maybe three---but keep warm..lol Mrs Clancey

kind of kidding with you bogieb but that would be frustrating and your state has some very very cold winters as well with ice pieces hanging off of roofs and stuff..One thing I hate to be cold...I asked my "to be installer-Wed" if it were possible to have pipes go to different parts of the house with a wood stove---like the old days---don't know if they did this but when I bought this house --1926--years ago they had a stove in a cubicle in the kitchen and they heated by coal (everybody says they never used coal in this house--previous owner) but I found coal pieces under the basement steps when they rotted away..but they had this very large hole that extended with some kind of piping to the one bedroom and bathroom of the house coming from one point--the kitchen stove--so I just asked if I could get piping "somehow" from my "wood stove" to the other rooms and he said "No" then I asked why are fireplaces so great then and he said that the venting extends from then going to different places of the house...---all greek to me--not up to date on this stuff--just newbie here.. Bottom line is "why heat just one small porch when I want to heat the whole house about 23x23 and a added porch 16x5 feet and now a added wood heater room 8x16 so I got French Doors and I sure hope that I can urge these "heat waves" to go in the right direction and If not I will be cold too and say "heat don't rise here either". But in my case I only got this for a emergency if everything should go to h--- because I have a stand by generator that I just love and that is my first defense---so I will be warm...plus my "new wood stove" has two cooking areas and at least I will be able to heat soup and coffee if I learn how to do all of this stuff that is very new to me...There is a real learning curve with this stuff and I have been picking up information from this delightful forum with its delightful people....Wed is the day...Hey new friend get two stoves --maybe three---but keep warm..lol Mrs Clancey
As a kid I can remember going with my parent to visit her friend.as we pulled up in front of this old house” kind of like the Adams family house” (I just got weird vibe)!we go in and of course her friend had to show us around. The rooms were dark dreary with dated furniture with a strange odor. going through all the rooms somehow we end the tour in the basement.If it’s not enough we’re in this creepy basement “straight out of a horror flick” we came across this creature making noises with dust all over and a bunch of arms coming out of it.Man did that scare the crap out of me! To this day that whole experience gave me a phobia from the way they heated there house.those heating methods just make me uneasy!

Yea I know that feeling Moonbabie 16 and it is creepy,,,Went on a tour of a famous historical house in the 1800"s or so maybe "younger" and the wall paper was dark and flowery and dingy with the dark depressing furniture---and those drapes---I got out of there quick...My house when I bought it--poor I was--had gas forced air with venting to the main chimney in the middle of the house and it almost killed me because of carbon dioxide because they actually had pie plates blocking up the holes in the chimney and when the heating man told me about that chimney being no good and needed a new venting system put in it to make it safe my reply was--but its brick....I tore the walls down to take a good look at it and sure enough it was in bad shape..When I first got this house there was a electrical cord made of material hanging down with a light bulb in it and that was the extent of the lighting...lol..Its not like that now---brand new wiring and brand new plumbing and lots and lots of updating and tearing out and checked on all levels because I want to be safe in my home. It has become a home and I love it and just fooled around with it over a many year period and met a lot of people and it was fun to do--after the fact--lol. After this project I will if I have time get a new roof and solar...but for now I want a wood stove for heating if need be...I hope you get just the right wood burning stove for your home one that keeps you nice and warm in every room of the house--lol....Some of those pellet stoves are just wonderful and you will decide on what kind you want and just take your time until you feel you are making the right decision for yourself and your love ones and I can't wait to see what you decide...clancey

There’s a room not shown on the left at the end of the corridor.would it make sense to say a stove probably wouldn’t heat all other area’s mentioned.especially since it has a cathedral ceiling and the stove would not be in line with the door.
Once you start to mention cathedral ceilings you are talking a whole other animal. Good luck heating that one no matter what you heat it with.

My old house had a cathedral ceiling. It heated just fine with a woodstove. Never tried pellets as no place to store them. Probably just took some extra time to get the heat built up, even more with pellets so best to just maintain temperature. Now if your cathedral ceiling is poorly insulated it’s probably hopeless.

Can’t find anything on a 5708. I have a 5770. It doesn’t have much adjustment but I use pro pellets which burn excellent in it. I think barefoots are similar. I can run it 24/7 for 2 weeks between cleanings and not have to touch it, and I can still see through the glass. Initially I had to replace the hi limit thermodisc, and I bypassed the hopper door switch for convenience. Over the years I’ve replaced the low limit thermodisc twice, and the room blower once, so could keep one oiled swap them out about every year. A lot of people don’t like them but I’ve had it over 5 years and I have no more issues than anyone else. It’s been very reliable. Everything is simple and predictable on it. Just keep it clean and it’s a good idea to keep spare parts on hand, as with any stove.

After a lot of distraction I finally jumped in and started the install. I purchased the King #5501s byUS stove, reason being its exhaust vent is on the right side when looking from the top down (most brands were on the opposite side) and it’s compact which is important being the limited space I have.. (see pics).all piping is duravent pelletvent from Home Depot they had everything I needed.I started with a 3inch adapter off the stove to a 45 deg elbow ( for a corner application)to a 6“to12” pipe through the wall. then connected to a 3” to 4” Tee.from the tee everything else is 4”do to one to many 45 deg elbows which the increase was recommended in the specs.I’m using the stretch and seal (excellent product) for the joints except for the adapter which is lightly siliconed and clamped.the last section not installed yet it will be a 5’ section starting at the gutter line with a exhaust cap to finish off. I will need to brace the 5’ section to the roof but I’m not seeing many brackets to accommodate 4 inch piping, most are for 6“ and up. any thoughts on what to use? Did I overlook something with the install? Thanx for all your help.

Attachments

• F800BE13-981B-4C74-ACC9-005ED3969C6A.jpeg
    F800BE13-981B-4C74-ACC9-005ED3969C6A.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 89599DCC-48D5-4837-9A49-BDD21AC10787.jpeg
    89599DCC-48D5-4837-9A49-BDD21AC10787.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 92
  • AAD1AF86-B7EA-4412-9430-197CED656DC3.jpeg
    AAD1AF86-B7EA-4412-9430-197CED656DC3.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 36A8BB29-FF10-45A8-8B24-E6734746461D.jpeg
    36A8BB29-FF10-45A8-8B24-E6734746461D.jpeg