Starting older Breckwell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbd627

Oct 25, 2008
Southern CT
I have a 97 Breckwell P28I (became P2000I in 98). Was having sporadic problem getting it to start. My manual specifically states to close damper before pressing auger botton. After 5 unsuccessful attempts in a row where I could see hot rod glowing red I decided to try opening damper 1/2 way (as I've read on here with newer Breckwells). It has started in less then 5 minutes the last 10 times. Thought I would share this so if anyone else has an older stove with same instruction they could try opening damper 1/2 way if the have failed start attempts.

Breckwell owners manuals are notorious for giving you just enough info , so you will have lots of questions , that the manual does not answer .

kbd627 said:
I have a 97 Breckwell P28I (became P2000I in 98). Was having sporadic problem getting it to start. My manual specifically states to close damper before pressing auger botton. After 5 unsuccessful attempts in a row where I could see hot rod glowing red I decided to try opening damper 1/2 way (as I've read on here with newer Breckwells). It has started in less then 5 minutes the last 10 times. Thought I would share this so if anyone else has an older stove with same instruction they could try opening damper 1/2 way if the have failed start attempts.

Awww you went against the manual.......... Just a case of not believing what you read.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Awww you went against the manual.......... Just a case of not believing what you read.

Eric

Actually Eric it was one of your posts that I remembered. Someone had trouble starting a Breckwell and you told them to open damper 1/2 way.Thanks!!

kbd627 said:

Thankfull my post from last year is still on here. Used stove a couple of times and again not lighting always. I forgot my own advice and was trying to light w/damper closed per manual.
%-P

I dont know why they wrote that. it takes air to move across the HOT rod to start the fire with convection heat.
this is why the newer larger stoves use a air pump to pump air into the ingitor systems.

another mistake people make when REPLACING a HOT ROD is they push the rod all the way to the end of the tube.
this will cause it to take longer the light.
You want the Hot rod end to be about 1/4" from the end of the tube. Burn pot side so the air flows around the end of the rod.

kbd627 said:
kbd627 said:

Thankfull my post from last year is still on here. Used stove a couple of times and again not lighting always. I forgot my own advice and was trying to light w/damper closed per manual.
%-P
Once again just got first fire of season going. 2nd attempt of course because I closed damper the first attemp. As Bugs Bunny would say "What a maroon"!

Status
Not open for further replies.