Statistically Coldest Two Weeks of the year in Northern New England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I was watching the weather guy in VT this morning and he pointed out the that statistically coldest two weeks of the years is starting. I usually considered it lining up with full moon of January into early February. Considering its supposed to warm up and rain this weekend I guess at least the start of the stretch is not going to be keeping to the mean.

I am curious if this lines up with the statistical center of the heating season? I find November through early January as cloudy months with later winter being sunnier. I think those cloudy months may cause me to burn a bit more wood. Looking at this years wood, I have an am getting half way through the piles. I tend to burn the "weird" wood early and keep the good stuff stashed for later winter so volume does not exactly line up with BTU content.

At least for the mid-Atlantic it's shaping up to be the mildest winter all in all in many years. For the next week 50's and 60's and rainy. We did have a few inches of snow the other day and was 14 this morning.

Look up your area here:

I purchased a new to me, used snowmobile this year . . . which I suspect is why this winter so far has been on the mild side so far. ;) :)

Reactions: tadmaz
Looks like we're dropping into the 20s next week. Friends up north of us will be in the single-digits at night.

January-February are typically the coldest months for us as well. We are going down to -40 tomorrow night...

• Wow
Reactions: Zack R