Steam From Standpipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Everybody on the planet has probably seen this but me but I went out to see it the chimney was smoking and happened to notice a column of steam headed skyward from the standpipe for the upstairs bathrooms. Nothing from the one for downstairs. Is this normal?

Did you eat Mexican recently?

:red:

Mine will steam on cold days. Mostly only when a hot water discharge is occuring like a shower, laundry, or dishwasher load. There is a natural desire for the hot steam to rise just like smoke in a chimney. The gasses from the actual septic tank are warm enough and moist enough to create steam as well but not usually enough to be noticable.

Your system should have a single large stack that will outdraw the other vent stacks in competition for rising gas.

Highbeam said:
Mine will steam on cold days. Mostly only when a hot water discharge is occuring like a shower, laundry, or dishwasher load. There is a natural desire for the hot steam to rise just like smoke in a chimney. The gasses from the actual septic tank are warm enough and moist enough to create steam as well but not usually enough to be noticable.

Your system should have a single large stack that will outdraw the other vent stacks in competition for rising gas.

Thanks. Probably from the septic. And yep, it was from the largest one.

Why do you think they call it "taking a steamer?"

LMFAO. STEAMALICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a creamy steamy the other day ;)

Local DJ calls it a massive gassive.

Status
Not open for further replies.