Steel King Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HTucker

May 23, 2020
Oxford CT
Hi everyone. I bought a house a few years back, and they had a Steel King wood/coal hydronic boiler, model 4800B(H) in the basement. I have the manual as well. They assured us it works, but we've never used it and are interested in selling it. Does anyone know how I would go about this? Who to contact, what to charge...? I can't find much info about it online.

Sounds like some old dinosaur...
but post up some pictures and you should get some help.
My guess is that you will be lucky to get scrap value out of an old boiler?,is it a boiler?Boilers operate under pressure.
If there is a bunch of pumps,tanks,controls,then your money might be in those parts.
You may also get a bit more for it if you let the buyer remove it,then they can see how it was hooked up and maybe test it.
Good Luck

Yeah sounds like you'd be lucky to get someone to remove it from the premises for free...scrap prices are pretty low right now so might have to pay unless you get lucky and find someone that is interested in actually using it...

Sounds like some old dinosaur...
but post up some pictures and you should get some help.
My guess is that you will be lucky to get scrap value out of an old boiler?,is it a boiler?Boilers operate under pressure.
If there is a bunch of pumps,tanks,controls,then your money might be in those parts.
You may also get a bit more for it if you let the buyer remove it,then they can see how it was hooked up and maybe test it.
Good Luck

Thank you for the feedback! =)

Photos of the boiler:
Steel King.jpgSteel King Manual.jpg

If you have 500 gallons of storage and the right controls it still can be a functional boiler. Without storage its pretty useless. Looking at the pictures my guess is the air damper controller is missing. That type of boiler only burns somewhat clean and efficient at full bore with the air damper open. Rarely does a house need all that heat so the controls slam the air damper shut to keep it from putting heat out. The boiler keeps smouldering putting out lots of creosote. With storage you run the boiler full bore until the storage is heated up and then it goes out until the next time the storage needs to be heated up again.

I would list it on craig's list and facebook maybe you could get some kind of offer for it. I would bet it will probably end up being scrap metal.

It looks in good shape,having the manual is a bonas.Plus it actually is a boiler .
It looks like the one in my Mom and Dads basement

That should be worth something to someone, certainly appears to be still in great shape & operable. The trick would be to find those someones.