Sticking it to "DA MAN"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJ. Woody

Jan 28, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, after using my woodstock Fireview for heating my house exclusivley since I have had it, I just recieved my first electric bill and its 190.00 cheaper than before when I was running my heat pump! WHOO HOO!! All that savings and my house feels more comfortable with the stove anyway.

Now if my wife would let me buy that boat with the 190.00 per month surplus!!

Feels good, doesn't it? I was out on disability for the past 5 weeks. All I did was sleep and tend to my fire. The oil company pulled up and delivered 47 gallons of oil. Usually it's over 150.

Feb. oil delivery: $411.78. Pellet insert installed, this months delivery bill $60. Nice!!

What has wood burning saved me? I figure the 30 years here in my home, I have saved 20,000 plus gallons of oil consumption
I figure that qualifies me, to be able to point the middle finger to the east at OPEC.

Can't wait until I can join you guys. Got our Feb./early Mar. gas bill - $315 - and we're sitting in a 66 degree, somewhat uncomfortably cool, house. The Vista goes in Thursday.

I went from 250 gallons of LP, every 5-6weeks, to 200 gallons in 13 months. I started burning wood 2 years ago, so it won't be long before the stove has paid for itself.

This year is the first that I've burned enough to make a difference. By this time in the season I am usually well into my second tank of fuel oil (250 gal). This year I haven't gone through my first yet...woohoo!! At $600.00 per fill I've saved a decent chunk of change this year. I'll save more next year as I will have a better feel for how much wood I need. I'm running out now and splitting everything in sight...trying to ration the fires for the colder nights.
Now if I could figure out something to reduce my electric usage I'd be all set.

In a typical winter, my house would consume more than 2,000 therms of nat. gas, between the heating and the hot water. Now, with an indoor wood-fired boiler, my gas usage is usually less than 10 therms per month, and that's the clothes dryer. Paying the monthly fixed hook-up charge for the gas pisses me off to no end.

Anything cooler than 70 in the house, and the troops start to complain bitterly. When they do I feel all kinds of guilty, and slink off to the boiler to throw some more wood in.

Mike Wilson said:
Putnam, what did you pay for pellets for February, for comparison.

-- Mike

I used a total of 29 bags at $5. per. My total heating bill for the month was $205 including the oil which I used for the first part of the month before the stove was in.
This month is all pellets, no oil and I am averaging a bag per day give or take. Total cost will probably be between $175 & $200. Not as cost efficient as it will be when I can secure next seasons pellets for less then $5.00 per bag. (Or so I hope!)

John

Putnam,

Score one for you on the A-Rabs!! Glad to see that you cut your bills down with the pellets, even at 5 bucks per bag. Now (like us wood-whores), you have to become a pellet-whore... start looking around for those golden deals on some quality pellets. What part of the world are you in?

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Putnam,

Score one for you on the A-Rabs!! Glad to see that you cut your bills down with the pellets, even at 5 bucks per bag. Now (like us wood-whores), you have to become a pellet-whore... start looking around for those golden deals on some quality pellets. What part of the world are you in?

-- Mike

I'm in Putnam County NY (about 70 miles due north of Times Square). Definite pellet hoe now, I'm figuring out the local commies, crooks, cheats and good dealers. I'm told prices should be less then 5 per bag in May, we'll see. The cheaper the better, more money for beer!

John

PutnamJct said:
I'm in Putnam County NY (about 70 miles due north of Times Square). Definite pellet hoe now, I'm figuring out the local commies, crooks, cheats and good dealers. I'm told prices should be less then 5 per bag in May, we'll see. The cheaper the better, more money for beer!

John

Find the major suppliers in your area, then buy 2-3 tons in July or August when it 90 degrees out. No one will be thinking pellets or heating then (except for wood scroungers like us). You should be able to save quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.