Sticky spot between slide plate and auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fiala06

Dec 7, 2022
Oregon
I’m having trouble with something sticky in the bend under the slide plate. Its been find for the 8 years we had the house. Says it was manufactured in 2006. Harmen accentra-2. The issue is between the slide plate and auger, in the bend. Pellets aren’t making it to the pot so gave it a deep clean then realized there is a cog. Had to use a coat hanger to get around the bed and un jam it.

Thought i was good, so loaded up pellets and started the feeder. Same thing. They keep getting stuck and you can hear the chain snap like it’s crushing the pellets every time.

Any ideas in a spray or something to clean it?

Sorry I’m on mobile for any typos :)

18ACF56A-6417-4D76-8515-A6C9BA3C1124.jpeg

ED65BBE6-787D-4B08-A31E-818EE0AA114A.jpeg

OK, several things-
Over time, heat draws out lignins from wood pellets. This also is what builds up on hopper surfaces, then pellets don't slide so easily down. Use any product that will clean tree sap, you can get in there with a rag on a stick or such. If you cannot, perhaps a spray product would work well enough, like carb spray, but dangerous.
Now another thing, you may have "extra" buildup from air being sucked back into the auger. The proper thing would be to remove the auger, see if there is residue/ buildup there, plus would make it easier to clean other passageways. Yours, being older, and being an Accentra, you may have a bit of what is called "gummy stove". There is a easy fix, installing a air bypass tube, but things have to be taken apart and cleaned anyway.

OK, several things-
Over time, heat draws out lignins from wood pellets. This also is what builds up on hopper surfaces, then pellets don't slide so easily down. Use any product that will clean tree sap, you can get in there with a rag on a stick or such. If you cannot, perhaps a spray product would work well enough, like carb spray, but dangerous.
Now another thing, you may have "extra" buildup from air being sucked back into the auger. The proper thing would be to remove the auger, see if there is residue/ buildup there, plus would make it easier to clean other passageways. Yours, being older, and being an Accentra, you may have a bit of what is called "gummy stove". There is a easy fix, installing a air bypass tube, but things have to be taken apart and cleaned anyway.
Thank you! We have goo gone and paint thinner. Think I'll start with Goo gone and see how it goes.

In the past we have occasionally had smoke in the hopper. Guess I'll try to find a manual to see how to remove the auger and do this mod. t

I would pull the augur and give the tube a good cleaning.

If you have actually seen smoke in the hopper, you need the air bypass tube. But, for now, you could pull auger and slide and clean.

Reactions: jackman
Just got it ordered along with a new door gasket since that should be replaced every few years it seems :)

I'll work on getting the auger out when I get off work this evening.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Just got it ordered along with a new door gasket since that should be replaced every few years it seems :)

I'll work on getting the auger out when I get off work this evening.
You probably don't want to buy expensive hone(s) like I use, so, if carbon left in auger tube after cleaning with chemicals, a wood dowel with a slit, or tape, and scotch brite pads, in a drill, work well. Wire wheel to clean auger itself. But clean off as much soft gunk as you can first.

You are now a member of the "Harman Gummy Stove" syndrome, lol!
So get that air tube kit installed, but, with all your cleaning, it is not so much of a rush, now.

Reactions: Shoe1757
The Accentra FS seems to have the most issues with the gummy stove syndrome. We did a bunch of feeder replacements/ air tubes years back under warranty. We had to get the Halo to hold the stove together to pull the feeder and hopper.

Nice looking stove there. I see my current burn pot in it's natural surroundings too.

Reporting back in, the unit is working 1000x times better. Didn't realize how much heat we were actually losing..
I got the gummy kit. Just to make sure these are roughly the spots to drill correct? I'll measure following the directions but they weren't very clear.

1671394927816.png