Stihl 011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ebay has them for about $10.

Well... If the cylinder looks good? Then I would spend the $15 (shipping?? Forgot to look at that?) and throw the rings in it. Maybe even Re-Hone the cylinder and out a good cross hatch back on it...
worth a rebuild but like MM said, don't hone the cylinder unless you REALLY know what you are doing. The chrome plating on the cylinder is very very thin, and it is very easy to burn through it. I would suggest, if needed, some 300 grit wet sand paper and a very VERY light crosshatch sanding done by hand. That's how I do all my re-rings and i have never had a problem. I also saw over on AS where muriatic acid is used to remove aluminum transfer. I wouldn't go that route unless you study it and know what you are doing, that muriatic acid can be some nasty stuff and it puts off some bad sulfur gas when it is eating aluminum.

Ok I'm about ready to throw in the towel, can't seem to get a case half gasket and the Stihl dealer said get some gasket material and cut one out, Thats gonna be a pain in the budinski. I have 60 in parts any suggestions????

Many Stihl dealers here do not carry and can no longer get older AV saw parts. Reason I sold my older Stihls while they were still running. PITA. Planned obsolescence.

Can you use silicone? A lot of cases are sealed with silicone, I've never had an 011 apart but I just rebuilt the bottom end on a n 015 the other night and that is how they are sealed.....

I think any vintage chain saw has value (just watch some old chainsaws on ebay and after bidding closes look at the final prices some of these things are getting!), even as a parts saw im thinking that would sell for a quick 100 bucks! some of the older homelite saws amaze me at what people pay for them o.0 worst case throw that lil' puppie up in the rafters for 30 more years and BOOM....instant collectable :p

I have the remenents of the gasket, this weekend I think I'll get some gasket material and give it heck.

Its running and leaking the homemade gasket works kinda along with goop its leaking fuel at the case half , I will take it apart today and see if I can fix it

Ok guru's I have got the saw back together and It wants to start, All I can get out of it is a short run seems like a fuel problem?

OK, I am assuming you rebuilt the carburetor. If so, what did you set the initial carburetor settings at? For primary settings on the carb, you should bottom out both the low mix and high mix screw. Then back off the low mix screw one full turn, back off the high mix screw one and a quarter turns. That should get your primary settings close. You'll have to fine-tune it from there.

OK, I am assuming you rebuilt the carburetor. If so, what did you set the initial carburetor settings at? For primary settings on the carb, you should bottom out both the low mix and high mix screw. Then back off the low mix screw one full turn, back off the high mix screw one and a quarter turns. That should get your primary settings close. You'll have to fine-tune it from there.

Did do a light rebuild on the carb. Sometimes it wil idle for 5 seconds then die If you touch the throtle it dies adjusted the carb scres but just wont idle. pulled the plug and it loaded with fuel, vaccume leak?

Most likely you have a diaphragm in the carb on the wrong side of a gasket. Check the breakdown in the IPL if you have it. If not, then examine the old parts for impressions that will clue you in as to which order to put it together.

You have already verified your initial H and L screw settings correct?

Reactions: ScotO
I'm also thinking like MM, if you are flooding it out you have a problem on the metering side of the carb. Not sure on that model of saw, but some carburetors have a small notch on the peg in the middle of the metering diaphragm that slides into the metering needle lever. If you fail to put that peg in the lever slot, it will hold the needle wide open and flood on you. Your metering diaphragm has to be the problem in some way or another.

GOT IT FINALLY the routing of the wires let the flywheel rub a little on the coil wires , re-route some electrical tape and it runs great :) Quick carb adjust and good to go

Reactions: DexterDay
GOT IT FINALLY the routing of the wires let the flywheel rub a little on the coil wires , re-route some electrical tape and it runs great :) Quick carb adjust and good to go

Whats the total dollar amount? Now its basically a brand new saw. Only gonna get better with a couple tanks of fuel (break in).

arround 95

Thats a great deal. Have you had it in wood yet?

I love my Husqvarnas. But I really love my Stihls!!.

not yet it needs a chain sharpened first

Status
Not open for further replies.