Stihl 017 issues

Gearhead660

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
WI
Having an issue with my saw. It starts and runs great...when its a cold start. After its warmed up and I shut it off, it wont start again. Haven't tinkered much with saws yet. Any ideas of what the issue is?

duramaxman05

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
Having an issue with my saw. It starts and runs great...when its a cold start. After its warmed up and I shut it off, it wont start again. Haven't tinkered much with saws yet. Any ideas of what the issue is?
Check spark. My 441 did the same thing and it was the coil

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
Very similar resolution - mine was the spark plug. Unfortunately there are other issues with the same symptoms.

JimBear

Feeling the Heat
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
It could possibly be your tank vent??? I’m not sure how the 017 vents but I know I read somewhere on other saws if the vent isn’t functioning creates a vacuum when warmed up & wont restart. I think those may have been in hot weather cases but still worth a look.

Gearhead660

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
WI
Did a little cutting last night. Got it warm, shut it down. Checked spark, its there. Just so happened that it ran out of gas at same time. Added more gas and it started up... So if it is an issue with tank vent, will have to do another trouble shoot.

Gearhead660

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
WI
Cut a truck load of wood this weekend, only using the 017. One slight issue with one restart, otherwise ran fine. Not sure what issue was/is. Maybe the carb just needed a readjustment...

Run some sea foam thru it.
1591135120354.png