Stihl 084

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I was offered an 084 AV in good shape with 36" bar and four once-sharpened .404 full-comp semi chisel yellow label chains. Started and ran nice, but fairly slow chain speed against an 064, with stock sprockets on both. My buddy at the saw shop said, its not fun to run, but it goes thru anything. A customer traded it in on a 650, because he didn't like running this thing, and found himself always going to his 066 instead. Asking price is $700, which sounds fair, but I'm debating how much I'd actually use this beast.

To its credit, it does balance a 36" bar better than my 064, which is way nose heavy.

Now I know it's foolish to expect any of you addicts to talk me out of buying a saw, but would you buy it?

Reactions: smokinj
If you want to mill jump on it. That would be the only way to make that saw real useful.

Depends on how satisfied you are with the 064 and the 36" bar. Bars are not interchangeable with smaller saws (084, 088, and MS880) either. .404 is good for cross-cutting and stays sharp longer in those monster trunks you seem to process frequently. I would fully expect some tweaking from stock to get the most out of it. Sprocket upgrades at a minimum. There are some saw wizards over on AS that could tell you a lot more about how to get the most from that machine.

If the price is cheap enough, I'd seriously consider it based on the photos you've been posting of your rounds. But I'm an addict ..... And that saw wouldn't last a day on AS at $700 unless its beat cosmetically.

Oh yeah, balance don't mean chit once you cross the 100cc line. ;lol

Price sounds fair to me.

I always thought the pro saws had an even second number like 26., 44, 46,66,64,84,88 etc? So was that never true, a coincidence until recently or was that rule broken recently?

Price sounds fair to me.

I always thought the pro saws had an even second number like 26., 44, 46,66,64,84,88 etc? So was that never true, a coincidence until recently or was that rule broken recently?

Not sure what you're saying. 084 is even, through and through.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
I am scatterbrained when I type. 84 is to me a pro saw but the guy dumped it according to you for a 650 which is a pro size as 390 is the biggest homeowner saw. So a 650 would be a pro saw unless you meant to write 660?

I am scatterbrained when I type. 84 is to me a pro saw but the guy dumped it according to you for a 650 which is a pro size as 390 is the biggest homeowner saw. So a 650 would be a pro saw unless you meant to write 660?

Oh... dunno about any even vs. odd numbering system, but a 650 is just the modern rendition of the 064. Same exact saw as the 660, but with 2mm less bore.

Does Stihl even make a non-pro saw above 80 cc? ;lol

Stihl dosent make a pro saw above 64cc which is what the 390 is. I'm not sure what the newer 391 is, if its the same CC as the earlier 390 or not. But when I for mine 8 yrs ago it was the biggest homeowner saw made.

I have heard there used to be a rule that odd was occasional user, even was pro... but I think that rule was abandoned 20 years ago! I think they still stick to white handle = pro, orange handle = occasional user.

But none of this has anything to do with buying an 084. ;-)

Look for a 394 or 395xp... My 394xp was much stronger than my 660. You can find a nice 394 in the 400 or less range.

No interest. Besides, I've never seen a used pro Husky around here that wasn't broken.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I have heard there used to be a rule that odd was occasional user, even was pro... but I think that rule was abandoned 20 years ago! I think they still stick to white handle = pro, orange handle = occasional user.

But none of this has anything to do with buying an 084. ;-)
Well to muddy the waters more
One of my loggers uses 391's to buck and trim logs. It has a white handle??

Back to the 084 its know to be a very good milling saw

Reactions: Ashful
Sorry for the derail
Forums are known for that.

Reactions: Ashful and smokinj
Yeah... some say I am known for that. ;-)

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.