stihl 460 acting weird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
my 460 is acting up....when u first start it up it runs fine and idles good for a tank of gas or so..but then dies and is hard to start...does this over and over...let it sit for a while.......then it starts up and runs good for another tank of gas or so....any ideas?

maybe fuel filter or lines needs replaced. Does it start at all immediately after shutting off? I had a McCulloch Pro Mac 610 yrs ago that did the same thing,started easy when cold,shut it off to refuel or anything & it was a 30 min wait to work again.Vapor lock especially on hot humid days.

I have another old 41cc saw that does the same. Never thought the fuel filter could be the cause, but seeing as it's likely a 35 year old fuel filter...

Look into the fuel filter/lines as Thistle mentioned. Do a compression check on it cold too. A healthy 460 should pump north of 150 psi pretty easy, anything under 130psi is suspect.

ill check lines and filter..it has damn good compression..trust i know as many times as it has died on me and i have to try to restart..

Mine would do that. I discovered that the fuel line from the tank to the carb was split very slightly at the connector. It was sucking air instead of fuel. Replaced fuel line and it runs like a top chainsaw.

Is there a 372 around?.....it may just be nervous. J/K

My 260 had similar symptoms, I just changed out the fuel line like others have said

Could it be the gas cap, I've heard that they have been a problem on different equipment. My uncle had a lawn tractor and the dealer couldn't fix it, a friend told him to replace the gas cap and it fixed the problem ( same as you desribed)

Big kudos to Master Mechanic, he always gives great advice THANK YOU!

Reactions: MasterMech
Could it be the gas cap, I've heard that they have been a problem on different equipment. My uncle had a lawn tractor and the dealer couldn't fix it, a friend told him to replace the gas cap and it fixed the problem ( same as you desribed)

Big kudos to Master Mechanic, he always gives great advice THANK YOU!

Yes, def could be the cap. The easiest way to test it is to just open the cap, close it back up, and try to run it and see what happens.

I agree on the cap, I've seen them plug shut before. Also like the others said, replace the fuel line, impulse line and fuel filter, just for good measure if nothing else.

thanks guys just ordered a new fuel line and filter...

my 460 is acting up....when u first start it up it runs fine and idles good for a tank of gas or so..but then dies and is hard to start...does this over and over...let it sit for a while.......then it starts up and runs good for another tank of gas or so....any ideas?

Noooooo...... just send it up here, I'll fix it no charge. Just will need a couple year test drive to confirm the repair.==c

I'm in agreement on the fuel lines, also check the tank vent. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.