Stihl Chainsaw Air Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Whats the best way to clean your air filter on your Stihl Chainsaw. I have the 310 plus the 390.

Thanks
Zap

I like to just knock it on something hard everyday and use the air compresser ever couple weeks.

smokinjay said:
I like to just knock it on something hard everyday and use the air compresser ever couple weeks.

Thanks Smokin, have you ever tried soaking it (air filter) in warm water with soap?

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Thanks Smokin, have you ever tried soaking it (air filter) in warm water with soap?

Zap

no I dont see any reason to do that If it was showing signs of oil build-up then i would, wait til the wife is out of town and run it through the dishwasher!

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap
Not sure what type of filter you have but that is what is suggested for the filter on my 009L and it works fine, my 045 has a metal mesh so air compressor works well on that.

oldspark said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap
Not sure what type of filter you have but that is what is suggested for the filter on my 009L and it works fine, my 045 has a metal mesh so air compressor works well on that.

Oldspark this is a picture off the net but the filter is the same on both my saws, 310 & 390.

zap

Attachments

• clean-filter-small-stihl-chainsaws-200X200.jpg
    clean-filter-small-stihl-chainsaws-200X200.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,186
zapny said:
oldspark said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Oldspark this is a picture off the net but the filter is the same on both my saws, 310 & 390.

zap

lol yes sir wash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should be cleaning evey time you use it. Blow that sucker out good as well with the filter in place...If you have a work bench it it up for your saw to be cleaned and sharpened everytime you use them.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
oldspark said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

zap

lol yes sir wash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should be cleaning evey time you use it.
I agrees the one with the cloth like material on them need to be washed, my 028S also has the fiber on the filter and looks just like the one in the picture. Mine is not that dirty though, I do believe it has the fiber on the filter under the saw dust. LOL

You need a good routine for your saws hygiene lol it will make your life much easier in the woods and much more productive as well.

In between washings I hit it with an air compressor but I do like to clean them with the soap and water.

oldspark said:
In between washings I hit it with an air compressor but I do like to clean them with the soap and water.

I blow my saws out everytime I use them. A guy I am cutting for now ask me twice did I get new saw's. I keep them very clean and can tell when there not thats why I do it.

Cool I am just saying what I do, my owners manual says to wash out with soap and water and that is what I do and between those washings I hit it with the air compressor, my 045 just has the wire mesh so I do not have to wash that one just blow it off.

oldspark said:
Cool I am just saying what I do, my owners manual says to wash out with soap and water and that is what I do and between those washings I hit it with the air compressor, my 045 just has the wire mesh so I do not have to wash that one just blow it off.

oh I agree with you 100 percent by staying on top of it sure makes things go better. Mine are a little differnt than those are I will see if I can find a pic. top right is the filter

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 762
Am I correct in assuming the one in the picture has the fiber material on it?

oldspark said:

yes I think I could wash it if the oil ever got build up on it but after 3-1/2 years nothing.

oldspark said:

yes I think I could wash it if the oil ever got build up on it but after 3-1/2 years nothing.

oldspark said:

I looked it up (I wanted to know for my chainsaw) and for the type of filter that the OP has (picture) you can clean it out between washings with a natural bristle paint brush but you are to wash it weekly with soap and water, I think it is because of the flock type material on it, IMHO you should follow this advice. smokinjay (what you smoking) I believe you have a diffenant type of filter than may need cleaned in another way.

oldspark said:
I looked it up (I wanted to know for my chainsaw) and for the type of filter that the OP has (picture) you can clean it out between washings with a natural bristle paint brush but you are to wash it weekly with soap and water, I think it is because of the flock type material on it, IMHO you should follow this advice. smokinjay (what you smoking) I believe you have a diffenant type of filter than may need cleaned in another way.

daily is the key! and here's the best I have found and there out of stock at the moment put I have a few pounds!
http://pipesandcigars.com/hehoankabyou.html

I mostly bang the filter to knock the big stuff off and blow them out with air on all my small engines on a few that have foam with oil I will soak in hot water with something that breaks up grease ( dawn dish liquid) then retreat with oil and button everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.