Stihl MS230?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2010
North Arkansas
I've noticed there is not much feedback on the MS230 out there. I've got a chance to buy one for $100, its 3 years old (confirmed), runs but has some trouble idling and staying running. I have run it myself. I figure its a minor issue like a hole in fuel line or carb problem or even an old fuel problem. Good bar and chain. It looks like they sell for $350-$360 new. Does $100 sound about right? If it didn't run I wouldn't pay $100.

And I noticed the MS 250 is less money but more CC's and power. I wonder why?

Anyway, this saw would be used mainly for clearing trails (usually 4"-12" stuff).

Are these decent saws? I got two other Stihls and I have no problems with them.

A running Stihl with all working parts, for $100, & you need another saw.
Sounds good to me.
Probably stored with gas in it for a long time, clean it up, may idle fine.

MS230 should never sell for more $$ then MS250 new. The new MS230 Picco Duro sells for more than a 250 because it comes with a carbide tipped chain. But with apples to apples as far as options, the MS230 should be slightly less than a 250. There isn't much difference between the 230/250 as they are built on the same platform. The 250 just has a 5cc advantage. I'd give $100 for a good used MS230.

A plain model 230 was between the 210 and the 250 in size and price at the Stihl dealers here in the US. There were also several odd model 230s out there that has special applications and features. There was a quiet version (the rare L model) with a super choked up muffler, and there is the C-BE version that you may have been comparing: say a 230 C-BE vs. a 250 plain model. The 230 C-BE also has the Duro option with the duro picco chain on it that would cost more. There are some older Stihl model saws on shelves that are being phased out in the US now and some new ones that are being phased in. The 210 is being replaced with the 211, the 260 with the 261, etc. The 230 plain model is being phased out. Some older saws that were phased out previously are being sold here again, like the 440.

The 230 is a good saw, though it is a homeowner saw and they can be a pain to work on (tight fit, cheaper plastic, clamshell engines). For $100 I would buy it though. I picked up a non-running 250 on CL a month ago for $50 and got it running for $20 with parts off of Ebay and my box of 1123 parts (I have owned many 210 and 025/250 saws). Those saws typically sell used for between $150 and $200 here on CL.

I forgot to mention that the MS230 is almost the same saw as the MS250, just a -5cc difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.