Stihl MS250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Biglumber

Jan 19, 2008
Colorado
Needed to upgrade the Poulan 1950 from 2001. I purchased a Wood boss? Farm Boss MS251 from a big box dealer. Took it home and found one nut holding the bar on. Returned it, went to a dealer in town and bought a MS250. I like the narrow kerf/cut similar to the Poulan. Decent power but it is a wood pile saw. Has two nuts holding the bar on, Nice.
Any help that composite crankcase can get is needed. Did look at the pro's but didn't want to spend 600 on a wood pile saw.
Like i mentioned decent power, Nice cut. Has a little bit of a lope at idle.

I have a Stihl 025, the precursor to the MS250, and it's a great saw. It was my dads, so I'm a little extra fond of it. My needs aren't great, but it pretty much does all I need.

Admitted novice. I have owned my MS250 for about 5 years now. If it won't cut it, I don't have the skill to do so. I owned a craftsman ranger before, so this was a big step up. I have never had a problem with the saw. The only negative thing that I can say it that I am not too crazy about the air filter set up. It is hard to get off without getting sawdust down inside the carb intake housing. I use cotton swabs to clean it out when I clean the filter. I highly recommend the 2-in-1 file. It will easily allow you to sharpen like a pro.

its not the saw, its the sawer!

I wore out 3 or 4 025’s. I used them solely for tree work and I modified them to a point they shouldn’t have lasted as long as they did. Never ran a stock one or one of the newer models but I would guess they should hold up very well for normal use. Always the first choice for the ground man because it was nice and light once it got to the ground. I agree about the air filter. Also , the air cover on the 025 would pop off pretty easily. Hopefully they fixed on the newer models