Stihl PA80 - need input if you've used one.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
My first splitter was a 6lb with a axe kinda handle. I had a hard time splitting with it and eventually busted the handle.
My second one was a 4lb Ames Super splitter kinda thing, had a fiberglass Axe handle and i thought it was the greatest splitter ever
My third splitter was an 8lb Ames True temper with a wood handle that has a protective plastic handle gaurd that goes into the maul head.

I love the 8lber. It handles most stuff, but still I have a hard time busting some stuff that I don't think i should.
The 4lb ames thing with the flares was the worst ever i now know, I was just unskilled when i went from the 6lb to it. It's too sharp and too light and I spent a lot of time getting the stupid thing unstuck. I used to make a habit of prying the head out by weighing down or pulling up on the FG handle. It hasn't come off yet, but the head has worked almost all the way off. I don't use it anymore. I rehandled the 6lb and I use it the most, when stuff is too hard for it, then I grab the 8lb. I find that most of the time they split equally well, but my aim is a little better with the 6lber. It's amazing that I split this well with a maul that I hated when i first started.

I saw the fiskars (well, several of them acutally) at the store, I hear great things about them, and after seeing it I'm thinking it might split great BUT, and this is a very big BUT, I was holding it and kinda feeling the balance out, etc, and I just do NOT feel safe with how short it is. I'm not freakishly tall or anything, but I just don't see how anybody over like 5'8" can feel comfortable using this. If it were just 32+ inches i would consider it. 36" and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Just hanging my arm down with my hand right at the very end of the handle it hits about mid shin. I don't miss rounds much, but I'd rather be safe (not sorry) consider my not using a fiskars to be on par with wearing PPE while chainsawing.

OK, but let's not get into a Fiskars debate here, if you wanna sell me on it bring an existing thread to the top with your comment and I'll see it.

the real purpose of my post is to ask if anyone has used a STIHL PA80? can you compare it to a regular 8lb maul? it looks nice, but that may be all in my head because it's pretty and says Stihl.

BTW, do they make a bumper sticker that says "Trucks are red, Tractors are green, and chainsaws are orange" and of course it would have to say Stihl on it somewhere so people didn't think I meant huskys or something else....

WHAT?!?!?!?! nobody? darnit. Maybe I'll have to be the first.

Danno77 said:
WHAT?!?!?!?! nobody? darnit. Maybe I'll have to be the first.

I have held them at the dealership nicely built but went with the fisker instead. Check out the Snow & Nealley aswell

The Stihl PA80 is a very nice maul and splits most rounds with ease, I don't use it much so when I do use it I'll post. :snake:

Dork

zapny said:
The Stihl PA80 is a very nice maul and splits most rounds with ease, I don't use it much so when I do use it I'll post. :snake:

Dork
lol, better late than never.

Can't speak to the Stihl PA80. I never tried one but it sure looks nice.

However, according to a member on AS, Fiskars is coming out with a longer handle version of the super splitter in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.