Stihl problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
my saw was a pain in the arse today. Started fine but when I throttled it to cut it kept dying. I gave up and used the old Husky. Anyone ran into this before? Any tips?

Have you checked the gas intake line to see if it has a kink or is too high?

Usually my problem with that is a clogged air filter which eventually will get sawdust into the carb. I blow out the filter or clean with gas every few hours of operation.

If it has been running well lately, it's not likely to be bad gas.

That does indeed sound exactly like a clogged air or fuel filter. I've had both many times, and even after all these years the process is pretty much like this:
1. Stupid saw.
2. Now what? Guess I'll take it to the shop.
3. Wait, we've been here before!
4. Check filters.
5. Dope slap.

Well, thanks for the help. The filter was indeed clogged. I need to lean more about saw maintenance........

Which filter - air?

My ms310 had same symptoms, after pulling my hair out it was a cracked fuel line. Same result as clogged filter, starved!

It could be a number of things. 2 possibilities have been mentioned. To add if this saw also show symptoms of difficulty of starting after being run for awhile the carb needs repair or replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.