Still burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnbiker727

Feeling the Heat
Mar 11, 2019
PA
Who is still burning?

It's been lows in the upper 30s and 40s with rain since Friday, so we're burning for an hour or so in the morning and sometimes at night too.

It's keeping the basement dry enough so I don't need to start running the dehumidifier yet. I still have about half a ton of pellets, so I'll be good.

Been burning pretty much on low all day the last couple of weeks
cold and wet with a large amount of rain this past week. Warming up Sat.
I HOPE 21 bags of pellets left had 23 last year so pretty much on track
with the normal amount used

I'm still sparking a fire most days. We had snow the past two days--more than a little unusual!

Eastern Pa here. Running the P61A overnites. Temps in low 40's.

20221224_135020.jpg

Reactions: Don2222
Both pellet stoves are firing when the thermostats tell them to. Currently the P43 is ending a cycle. Been wet, dark and cool here all week so no solar gain during the day. Supposed to warm up this weekend and sun is supposed to peek out.

I typically burn into June - just depends on the weather as to how much (sometimes it is just a morning get-the-chill-out, sometimes it is somewhat regular. I still have IDK, probably about 5 tons so won't run out before then ;)

Who is still burning?

It's been lows in the upper 30s and 40s with rain since Friday, so we're burning for an hour or so in the morning and sometimes at night too.

It's keeping the basement dry enough so I don't need to start running the dehumidifier yet. I still have about half a ton of pellets, so I'll be good.
Put both of my Harman’s to bed a month ago. Don’t really burn unless temps are in the low 30’s for at least a few days. It’s just not efficient for me to do so as the heat pump does a better job at higher temps.

My 1920's house is not well insulated. Cools down not long after warmup so using oil furnace for me is not most economical. Rather have the steady heat blowing thru the stove on these colder nights.

yes but this could be the last

calling for 41 overnite here so pellet stove it is...
my house has no other next to it so out in the open..

Burned a bit last night but think it's getting close to being done. I wish I bought this stove before winter so I could of got more use out of it.

Really excited for the winter coming up.

Burned a bit last night but think it's getting close to being done. I wish I bought this stove before winter so I could of got more use out of it.

Really excited for the winter coming up.
Going on 9th winter next season and still love burning.. dont even mind the bi weekly brush and vacuum maint..keeping it maintained is key to looking forward to it and not dreading it.

I'm still sparking a fire most days. We had snow the past two days--more than a little unusual!

I'm in the north central part of PA. We had some hail/sleet in the sky this week, it melted before you could see it on the ground. We've had about 4 inches of rain since Friday.

There were a few flakes north of here, but I saw some pictures from Somerset County and even down into West Virginia everything was white!

I'm in the north central part of PA. We had some hail/sleet in the sky this week, it melted before you could see it on the ground. We've had about 4 inches of rain since Friday.

There were a few flakes north of here, but I saw some pictures from Somerset County and even down into West Virginia everything was white!
There was a little hail at my kid's track practice tonight. Just like you said, it melted right away. It is really wet here too!

Put both of my Harman’s to bed a month ago. Don’t really burn unless temps are in the low 30’s for at least a few days. It’s just not efficient for me to do so as the heat pump does a better job at higher temps.
For me, it's more economical to burn pellets. Last year the mini-split and burning pellets was about an even traid off during shoulder season (assuming $5/bag at the time). Last spring I got 6 tons for ~$172/ton and already had tonnage left over. Then electricity prices jumped even higher over the summer (we already had high prices, we are at #2 in the entire nation). And the pellet stove in the basement is the only heat down there, so would be burning some regardless.

Last year I was using 400-650 kwhs January thru May to run the mini split to heat (plus the P61a in the basement). This year I've used 250-350 kwh (total use including what I used from the solar array) thru the same time frame using only the pellet stoves. I started stacking credits from solar production starting in March, which I would not have done if I had used the mini split.

Going on 9th winter next season and still love burning.. dont even mind the bi weekly brush and vacuum maint..keeping it maintained is key to looking forward to it and not dreading it.

I still love burning too (started January 2014). I don't have to do anything but feed pellets for a couple of weeks usually (besides clean the glass 1x/week and clear out under the burn pot for the P43 weekly or bi-weekly).

Last edited:
still burning, thermostat set at 70. The GF gets cold or mine would have been off. It ran out of pellets today while I was out, we came home it was 65 inside. She said it cold inhere so I filled the hopper and fired it up. If I am home through the day I have a small kerosene heater i will fire up.

Who is still burning?

Still pouring them in its cold every night hope it warms up soon !

Reactions: Tonyray
For me, it's more economical to burn pellets. Last year the mini-split and burning pellets was about an even traid off during shoulder season (assuming $5/bag at the time). Last spring I got 6 tons for ~$172/ton and already had tonnage left over. Then electricity prices jumped even higher over the summer (we already had high prices, we are at #2 in the entire nation). And the pellet stove in the basement is the only heat down there, so would be burning some regardless.

Last year I was using 400-650 kwhs January thru May to run the mini split to heat (plus the P61a in the basement). This year I've used 250-350 kwh (total use including what I used from the solar array) thru the same time frame using only the pellet stoves. I started stacking credits from solar production starting in March, which I would not have done if I had used the mini split.

I still love burning too (started January 2014). I don't have to do anything but feed pellets for a couple of weeks usually (besides clean the glass 1x/week and clear out under the burn pot for the P43 weekly or bi-weekly).
What brand do u burn?

What brand do u burn?

Normally TSC since there is a store about 4 miles from me. That equates to MWP.

I could not pass up the HD sale last spring and that was GS (Northeast flavor). They actually put out a bit more heat than the MWPs, but are also a bit more ashy. Not a big deal to me though.

Then there are the CL/FBM finds. I grabbed some GS for $3/bag off FB fall of 2021 and burned thru those first. I finished up some Cubex I got for $4.15/bag last spring, Still have some Lauzon Fusion HW (re-bagged Cubex) that I got for $2.55/per bag a couple of years ago. Also have 10 bags each of Logik-e and Orfords I got out of curiosity a couple of years ago (and then promptly got buried by other finds).

I burn whatever is the best value. I don't need huge heat as my place is small, and I'm less than loyal to any one brand. I may not even buy any pellets this year as I've got somewhere around 4 tons in the garage (mostly GS but some TSC) and 1 ton in the basement. Trying to get some work done in those areas, and pallets of pellets are a major pain for me to move around all the time.

Still burning almost every night, and day when I’m home. Aside for one nice week a month ago, and one day yesterday. It’s always either raining or snowing, or if it does get clear it’s temps in the 30s.

Reactions: VintageGal
I finally cleaned up the stove and put it away for summer. I haven't burned in probably 3 weeks, so I decided it was time.

going to clean mine this weekend.
It fired up a few times last week I think. I had the thermostat at 70 so it got down to 68 and turned on.
It was low 40s this morning here.

Cleaned up my stove and put it away and turned it back on yesterday! Unseasonably chilly in Northern California! Quad Classic Bay insert

LOL - my P43 is shutting down as I type. It ran a couple of times last night and has been running sporadically the entire week. Cool temps and heavy overcast with no solar gain means I'm still at it. Added another bag to the hopper on Tuesday. Better than having to run the AC though.