Still Cutting After All These Years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/01/same-saw-many-ice-palaces/
Saranac%20Lake%20Winter%20Carnival%20Ice%20Palace%201988%20Postcard%20smaller%20copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vinny11950
That's cool. I have seen pictures of the Harbin, China ice festival, but not in NY.

Reactions: thewoodlands
That's cool. I have seen pictures of the Harbin, China ice festival, but not in NY.
It's a big event that draws a good number of people when we actually get winter and this year we're a getting an old fashion winter.

After seeing this I dragged the family up to see it last night. It was an awesome fireworks show! We were so close we could feel the air move as the fireworks went off!

Attachments

• 20190202_190430.jpg
    20190202_190430.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190202_190434.jpg
    20190202_190434.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190202_190331.jpg
    20190202_190331.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 130
The roads were horrible going from Schroon through Placid to Saranac! The wind gave whiteout conditions at times. Driving back was uneventful.

Drove through Adirondack park once heading NW in heavy snow. Beautiful but was too many miles of white knuckle driving for my taste. When the snow mobiles started to pass me I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

They grow snow plows big up here! Even more fun in the spots they don't use salt to protect the environment!

After seeing this I dragged the family up to see it last night. It was an awesome fireworks show! We were so close we could feel the air move as the fireworks went off!
How did the family like it and was there a good crowd?

I'm not sure what else would work in very cold temps but their after them to get rid of the salt.
http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...2/the-cost-of-driving-55-mph-in-snow-and-ice/

It's hard to beat salt for cost and performance. That said, it rather see less of it myself! My main worry is always driving around those who think that a sanded road is going to behave like a salted road. You just can't drive like you're used to in salted areas!

I put snow tires on the wife's car and am consistently shocked on how well they let her car handle bad conditions.

I've heard in Montreal they require snow tires on vehicles if they are driven in winter, and those tires swapped off by something like April. I don't want government involved, but it's a move that makes sense if one can afford it. I bet the insurance companies might be interested in incentiveizing safe drivers who switch to tires with more winter traction.

How did the family like it and was there a good crowd?

Wife loved it and the kid gave, "It was OK." Which means she liked it, but doesn't want to admit it. Lol. The crowd wasn't huge, but I don't know how to estimate stuff like that. Parking was chaotic, but we didn't have any trouble parking close. I think the weather may have kept some away. There was snow coming down and the wind was really whipping it around.

It's hard to beat salt for cost and performance. That said, it rather see less of it myself! My main worry is always driving around those who think that a sanded road is going to behave like a salted road. You just can't drive like you're used to in salted areas!

I put snow tires on the wife's car and am consistently shocked on how well they let her car handle bad conditions.

I've heard in Montreal they require snow tires on vehicles if they are driven in winter, and those tires swapped off by something like April. I don't want government involved, but it's a move that makes sense if one can afford it. I bet the insurance companies might be interested in incentiveizing safe drivers who switch to tires with more winter traction.
Back when we were young we played hockey, our parents would always get studded tires put on the cars but once Canada made them illegal, they stopped running them. We spent many a weekends playing hockey in Canada.

I think they're still legal from Oct.16 to April 30 in New York State.

Yeah, I still see, and hear studs on tires going down the road.

I've never run them. I've convinced myself that I shouldn't be driving in icy conditions anyway.

Reactions: fbelec
Wife loved it and the kid gave, "It was OK." Which means she liked it, but doesn't want to admit it. Lol. The crowd wasn't huge, but I don't know how to estimate stuff like that. Parking was chaotic, but we didn't have any trouble parking close. I think the weather may have kept some away. There was snow coming down and the wind was really whipping it around.
I've never been to Saranac Lake for the carnival, maybe one of these years but since we have a dog it makes it tougher to go.

Yeah, I left ours at the family cabin in Schroon. He wouldn't have liked the fireworks.