New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Still expecting a price drop in pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's why I passed. Couldn't envision going up and down a flight of stairs 50 times with a 40 pound bag.

I've been watching the State of the Union address. Now that the Republican rebuttal is on I think I'd rather be schlepping 50 40# bags up stairs.

Leicester MA Walmart still at $5.00 per bag, $250.00 ton.
Was told they only have 2 pallets of Still River onsite, no further deliveries expected.
Other choices are Pennington's and Maine's Choice.

My Harman will burn any of these reliably...but I did pick up 5 more bags of Still River, 'cuz they're somewhat local (more than the others).

No big moves in pricing at pelletsdirect.com in Uxbridge.

Last edited:
Just in case you guys aren't following the TSC thread, here in Mass they are down to $4.59 bag if you buy 40 bags or more. Down $.80/bag. Sale on until 1/31.

Just in case you guys aren't following the TSC thread, here in Mass they are down to $4.59 bag if you buy 40 bags or more. Down $.80/bag. Sale on until 1/31.

Yep. 229/ton at my local TSC, but they only have their lousy 80/20 blend and Instant Heat-less. Still too spendy for lousy pellets.

Reactions: bogieb
Seeing more and more CL ads selling pellets because the bought too much, they are moving, their stove broke, etc. and some deals out there but also sellers trying to sell it for what they bought it for. Those ads have been up for some time.

Reactions: bogieb
Just went to pick up a few bags at the Augusta, ME Wal*Mart and they are no longer stocking them. Asked if they were going to get any more and got a shoulder shrug. Went up to Waterville and they had two tons @ $259 per. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
Lowe's will be delivering 2 tons to my place on Friday (free delivery if you buy at least 2 tons).

Reactions: Peterfield
Aubuchon is down to 229 a ton, from 259, plus a $30 credit to go towards your next purchase.

TSC Ontario, NY at $224 per ton now. That's another $20 drop.

We have been waiting for the price drop, buying a few bags at Walmart Ellsworth Maine, for $4.98 a bag. Maine Woods brand. They burn fine with the air turned up, but they do not feed well. They seem to have a lot of fines in the bags and need to be screened for a better feed. They need to be pushed down and moved to center of the hopper occasionally, otherwise the stove will go out, with 1/2 of a bag clinging for dear life to the sides of the hopper. We had waited all late summer and fall for the drop, but it was not forthcoming. Now with the warm fall and oil at the $2 range, we are expecting to burn more oil this year. We are hoping and expecting others to do the same and thus cause pellet prices to fall to the $199 a ton range by spring. If anyone sees decent prices or a drop, please post the news here for others. If oil is cheap in your area, fill your oil barrels now, as oil is cheaper than pellets currently, and with a lot less hassle.
We have been waiting for the price drop, buying a few bags at Walmart Ellsworth Maine, for $4.98 a bag. Maine Woods brand. They burn fine with the air turned up, but they do not feed well. They seem to have a lot of fines in the bags and need to be screened for a better feed. They need to be pushed down and moved to center of the hopper occasionally, otherwise the stove will go out, with 1/2 of a bag clinging for dear life to the sides of the hopper. We had waited all late summer and fall for the drop, but it was not forthcoming. Now with the warm fall and oil at the $2 range, we are expecting to burn more oil this year. We are hoping and expecting others to do the same and thus cause pellet prices to fall to the $199 a ton range by spring. If anyone sees decent prices or a drop, please post the news here for others. If oil is cheap in your area, fill your oil barrels now, as oil is cheaper than pellets currently, and with a lot less hassle.
you need to fix the auger on that stove , crap stove..