Stock up now, while still possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The industry is recommending customers to stock up early. Pellet demand is expected to be very high and there are shortages in the pipeline.

Not a great distinction between residential and commercial pellets. Do most manufacturers specialize in just one or both? Are the raw materials the same for both residential and commercial? I know our port has a pellet terminal. All commercial softwood. Lowes and HD won’t ship pellets in. TSC is the only place I know get them down here.

I got my 3 tons a couple months ago. The local hardware store said there was going to be a shortage. The summer "discount" price was the regular price last year. I think I paid $260 or $265. In previous years the discount was $220. I think they said the "regular" price this year was going to be $280 or $285.

Same scare tactics. While prices will rise there will be availability. The only company I know of in the USA that exports pellets are owned by Bob Kraft of the New England Patriots fame. The pellets they export come from pallets and other construction debris.

I got mine at the beginning of June when the fresh stock came in, and paid just $5 more a ton than I did the previous 2 years. $240. I see they are now $290. Only time I see them that much is when supplies are short in the late winter or spring. Interesting what this winter will bring.

Looks like the year of the pellets in my area if you aren't lucky enough to have natural gas (which is not common in the state except along the MA boarder, so it really doesn't count)

The first are the prices per MBTU for the common types of heating fuels. The second I used an online calculator to figure out the 100 MBTU (because I was too lazy to find a calculator that would do MBTU) . I did not insert costs of coal or Natural Gas at mcf(1000 cf) since those were not available. Also, the Electric (Geothermal) line is the Electricity Air Source Heat Pump.

Last year, the Electricity Air Source Heat Pump and wood pellet costs per MBTU were running pretty darn close (many times within pennies) so I ran my mini split a lot. This year, not so much. and I'm so glad I bought 6 tons of pellets in the spring.

Home heating fuel prices as of 8-10-2022.JPG Home heating fuel per mbtu as of 8-10-2022.JPG

My guess is its not a shortage as such, its just more demand than normal
Same scare tactics. While prices will rise there will be availability. The only company I know of in the USA that exports pellets are owned by Bob Kraft of the New England Patriots fame. The pellets they export come from pallets and other construction debris.
This article is to the contrary to your claim https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2302521-n-american-wood-pellet-exports-at-record-high-in-2021

Lots of outfits in Canada export pellets and lots of pellets heading to Europe from the Southeast. If you look at the numbers there are far more pellets being exported than kept domestically for pellet stoves.

As for scare tactics, one man's scare tactics is another mans good advice.

I did some calling to today, the place I have been buying told me 275 for AWP plus 25 a ton for delivery. Last year I think I had 810 in 3 ton delivered. He said pricing currently is truckload by truckload.