Stool on my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
Man this is disgusting.I go out to get some splits and there's some creature's stool on some of my splits.Anyone got any ideas what animal does this and what can be done about stopping it ? Thanks.

Reactions: Slocum
Search scat (e.g., fox scat) for animals you know are in your region and click on images.

Search scat (e.g., fox scat) for animals you know are in your region and click on images.
Thanks.I did see some spray at home depot for critters.Maybe I'll try some of that.

OMG, I built my own timberframe home once cutting the timbers on a farm. Several times I'd arrive in the morning to find that cows had dumped all over my beams. What was interesting is that upon inspection because of the way the beams were laid out, the cow, in my analysis, had to actually back up to purposely poop on my beam.

Agway carries a good selection of critter repellents. The one in Northborough closed a while ago. There are still others in the area. The one in Lancaster is closest for me now.

http://www.agway.com/

Reactions: Slocum and Rich L
100% with Armanidog raccoons are one of the few animals that purposely chit were they sleep looks similar in size to cat poop but the similarity ends there . Especially if there is a roof covering from rain , you may need to protect with plastic sheeting or tarp ( they’ll crap on top of it )

Reactions: Slocum and Rich L
Coons are one of the few that would go out of their way to do that. They will do it in the woods on downed tree trunks, hay mows in barns, places they frequent. They can climb without problem. And they can travel. I once tracked a travel route 1/2 mile through marshs woods and fields to get from den to corn field. You can tell whats in season too - raspberries, black cherries, sweetcorn. Duke DP traps with a marshmallow at the bottom and some coon lure is one solution. Pet proof, and they can't resist those marshmallows. Box traps work too.

When I was in India some time ago, my host cooked a great meal over a cow chip fire. It produced a nice, even heat with no odor to speak of--of course it was well dried. So I think I'd just thank the critter for the extra BTUs :)

Last edited: