Stopped drafting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

loglover

Jan 6, 2019
Tallahassee Florida
I bought Hearth soap stone wood fireplace in 2005 and for several years it worked fine. It has not been used in 3 years because it quit drafting. I believe the reason is a contractor repairing the roof seal, pulled the pipe off and may have dropped something down the pipe because that's when it quit drafting. Of course it also could be a build up of Ash in the 45° elbow to the stove outlet that has blocked the draft. Just reaching for reasons.
I know I have to remove the the interior 12' piping to check it out but want to install a Y elbow at the outlet to be easier for future cleanout. Any ideas on where to find a Y elbow?
IMG_20190106_173257.jpg IMG_20190106_173241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to be a straight shot up chimney. To see if anything is in the chimney at the bottom 45, I would look from inside of the stove. Probably above the burn plates. Then get up on the roof and look down. Maybe as simple as the cap is plugged. This should be is simple issue. Shame to not have that stove working.

Reactions: Woody Stover
With 70º daytime temps right now it may not draft well, but this is a good time to disassemble the pipe and clean it all out. Do you have a brush? Also check the chimney pipe to be sure the blockage is not at the cap if there is a screen or in the chimney itself.

Never heard of a Y elbow for stove pipe...what you want is a tee...it would replace the 90* elbow at the back of your stove.

Spin the elbow coming out of the stove 180* so that it is parallel to the ground, then put a tee on the bottom of the vertical pipe and insert the tee snout into the elbow. Get the tee from whoever made the pipe, to make sure it fits. This is after you brush the chimney to clear any obstructions, of course.
Or you could call a sweep. ==c