Storage Bin - Is this a bad idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
OK so I have these two old deck boxes that we use to store seat cushions in. They were destined for the scrap heap, so I thought that they would make good wood storage bins so I did not have to go to the wood pile as often when the snow flies. It was very humid the past few days and when I openned the lid on one of the boxes there was a lot of condensation. A recently split piece that measured 18% when put in the box measured 24% (on same split end, split made 5 days ago). I made afresh split and the inside was 18%. Do you think I need to cut ventilation holes in these ? I am thinking that I am never going to counter act changes in air humidity and temp. the whole idea was to keep wood close but out of the elements. Thoughts?

IMG_0309[1].JPG

Yes you need to ventilate in way that rain does not get in the boxes. When the boxes heat up in the sun it will drive off moisture in the wood that will tend condense on the lid when things cool down.

Where those boxes will are does not get much sun this time of year. I'll see if I can come up with a way to ventilate better. I could drill holes but that might let rain in. I guess a bunch of small holes on the sides would minimize the amount of rain/snow that could get in.

Use a hole saw and cut some holes right under the "lip" in the recessed area of the box. If water comes down the side of the box, it will drip off the "lip" without going into the box. I did this with some large garbage cans, and I don't have a problem with moisture in the cans. You can put some around all 4 sides for more ventilation.

If you keep the boxes up on blocks, like in this picture, just do holes near the top and a few on the bottom of the box.

You can even use a spade bit if you want to keep the holes smaller. I used a 1" spade bit in my garbage cans.

IMG_0309[1].JPG

Last edited:
Use a hole saw and cut some holes right under the "lip" in the recessed area of the box. If water comes down the side of the box, it will drip off the "lip" without going into the box. I did this with some large garbage cans, and I don't have a problem with moisture in the cans. You can put some around all 4 sides for more ventilation.

If you keep the boxes up on blocks, like in this picture, just do holes near the top and a few on the bottom of the box.

You can even use a spade bit if you want to keep the holes smaller. I used a 1" spade bit in my garbage cans.

View attachment 301495
Thanks.. That is a good Idea.. The box is up on blocks to help prevent critters from nesting underneath it. My dog dug a nice hole last winter trying to get at one.

Reactions: Dan Freeman