Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure...I will post them later today
I can't get a good pic of the floor because the pellets are covering it but the plywood measures 44x14 and it fits right in the bottom. I had pellets on it over the summer during some fierce storms and no water issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_091253.jpg
    IMG_20151114_091253.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20151114_091349.jpg
    IMG_20151114_091349.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20151114_091439.jpg
    IMG_20151114_091439.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: rich2500
great idea Marina, Is that a grille cover over the pellets

Sure...I will post them later today
I can't get a good pic of the floor because the pellets are covering it but the plywood measures 44x14 and it fits right in the bottom. I had pellets on it over the summer during some fierce storms and no water issues.
great idea Marina, Is that a grille cover over the pellets
Wood rack cover. 30 bucks at home depot. I got the racks there too. They sell longer ones if you have the space but I had to buy 3 shorter racks. You can tie the covers down tight if it gets windy. I have them untied for air circulation.

Needed to update my storage for this year. I got such a great deal on pellets, I bought a two year supply.
Loaded two ton into basement on homemade slide (two 2x4's and some luan plywood I had laying around). Just don't build it as wide as the stair case as you may need to climb upstairs when the slide is in place.

Check out the video of my beautiful wife loading pellets onto the top of the slide.

Bill
Stocked with over 4.5 ton on November 14th.

Reactions: bogieb and Jake86
Needed to update my storage for this year. I got such a great deal on pellets, I bought a two year supply.
Loaded two ton into basement on homemade slide (two 2x4's and some luan plywood I had laying around). Just don't build it as wide as the stair case as you may need to climb upstairs when the slide is in place.

Check out the video of my beautiful wife loading pellets onto the top of the slide.

Bill
Stocked with over 4.5 ton on November 14th.

Smart man bill.. Have the wife help out :)

I'm down to 2 options ...

1. My wife says to just put tarp on the concrete and pellets on top

2. I feel more inclined to what you guys were telling me.. To lift them off the floor and put them on scabs/plywood sitting on 2x4

Still planning out my setup... If option 2.. I would like cut everything in half so I can take it apart and put away in the shed when done. Rather than having long pieces of wood to store

Smart man bill.. Have the wife help out :)

I'm down to 2 options ...

1. My wife says to just put tarp on the concrete and pellets on top

2. I feel more inclined to what you guys were telling me.. To lift them off the floor and put them on scabs/plywood sitting on 2x4

Still planning out my setup... If option 2.. I would like cut everything in half so I can take it apart and put away in the shed when done. Rather than having long pieces of wood to store

I was going to do it all myself, but she volunteered and immediately jumped in loading them downstairs.

DO NOT stack directly on concrete! Stack on pallets or anything that raises them up. You can get an extra pallet from any industrial area to move the bags from the original pallet to your new location.

Bill

Ive got 4 piles of 1 1/2 tons each stacked up in my basement right now. The only thing separating them from bare concrete is a layer of carpeting. It's never posed a problem.

Ive got 4 piles of 1 1/2 tons each stacked up in my basement right now. The only thing separating them from bare concrete is a layer of carpeting. It's never posed a problem.
Is laid carpeting or pieces of carpet placed there for that purpose? Also has the concrete floor been painted with drylock or some other sealer? Just looking for a frame of reference to see how you set up compares to a garage floor.

It's a basement room that was already finished when we bought the house so I can't testify as to what lies beneath the carpet.

Reactions: bogieb
I store mine in the cellar usually 5/7 ton as for moving them upstairs i use 5gal buckets and fill as i go the Mrs does like spring when she gets her cellar back !
The Mrs over here never gets her basement back. I start the season with 6 tons, use 3 then replenish in April.

6d0838e7a65b1798f49fe647956541d2.jpg

If you guys recall. I posted a picture of my set up and many of you said it was not good because they were sitting on cement.. Also if water to leak in my garage which sometimes does happen..

I took your advice and built A quick set up with plywood screwed onto 2x4's to lift them up off the ground

Does this look better?

Here in Denver, I let Home Depot or Lowe's store mine...I buy 20 or 30 bags at a time....There has never been a shortage here and the price has not changed much in the 6 years I have been using pellets...If you buy a full skid (a ton) SOMETIMES they will offer a 5% or 10% discount..But I do have a natural gas furnace as a backup......

Reactions: Peterfield
View attachment 167630

If you guys recall. I posted a picture of my set up and many of you said it was not good because they were sitting on cement.. Also if water to leak in my garage which sometimes does happen..

I took your advice and built A quick set up with plywood screwed onto 2x4's to lift them up off the ground

Does this look better?
Looks like side of my garage. I gave up trying to stack them like a pallet though. ( one, half way on top of the other) I just pipe them in rows one straight on top of the other. Ten high is good for my height. Seems just as sturdy and no overhanging bags on the ends. Just being picky!
Ants good job!

Reactions: bogieb
View attachment 167630

Does this look better?

Looks good - no worries now.

Buying a ton at a time at a little Mom & Pop store up the road and they can get supply all day long of green lettered Lignetics for $250/ton. No shortage but rather a glut of many brands this year, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.