Storm Collar leaking underneath

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDurdin

Feb 15, 2018
Kingston, NY
Hello everyone, I recently installed a Selkirk chimney and everything is working great except when there is a windy rainy day some water comes in under the storm collar, runs down the chimney and has hit the floor of the 2nd room. Rain only gets in on windy rainy days. How can I fix this?

The storm collar probably needs to be pushed down to where it contacts the top of the flashing cone. The upper side of the cone is closer to the roof & that's usually where rain will get in. Sometimes angling the storm collar down at that point will eliminate the gap where the rain enters...Unless you have one of the flashings with slots in the cone. In that case, & I know it's not supposed to be done, we were directed to apply a small amount of aluminum tape to block the slots in the suspected area.
Sometimes an oversized storm collar can help, as well.

Seen a leak when the flashing was on top of too many rows of shingles. The wind drives the rain across the roof and right under the edge of the flashing. It will cling to the underside of the metal and end up dripping down either the chase or into a support box. If your flashing resembles the picture it very well could be the culprit.
upload_2018-10-29_17-33-28.png

It looks like I have the flashing with the vents. I will try the aluminum tape trick and see how that goes.

Reactions: DAKSY