storms rumbled through this evening...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Pretty sure a microburst or small tornado touched down at my grandfathers place......whole neighborhood had big trees snapped off and some uprooted.......

Did some clean-up bit was getting dark on us. Most of the wood is already claimed by homeowners, but I ended up with a norway maple (almost a truck full) for helping out a little. The one neighbor down there wasn't so fortunate, tree fell across the roof of their old Victorian house. They ended up with several inches of water in the house. Couple of pics from my phone, but it was getting dark.

2013-05-10_19-54-41_126.jpg 2013-05-10_19-54-49_514.jpg 2013-05-10_20-14-57_752.jpg

Reactions: smokinj
Way to help out & put your skill to use in an emergency :)

Good community, neighbors help each other out .
The fire wood score is not so important when you see some of the damage !

Weird weather for sure.

That sucks, good helping hand you gave. Hope everyone recooperates from this.

Reactions: ScotO
Wow. That system is heading our way in a couple of hours. Diminishing strength though.
It's a good thing.....that puppy was NASTY.....
I'll be anxious to hear what the local news says about it. I'm sure that a microburst hit down here in our town....

Glad everyone is ok, all the other stuff can be fixed. June & July are the months when we usually get the weather for a MicroBurst.

Thats one reason we keep our saws tuned n ready to go ,Great job helpin out man :)

Reactions: ScotO and geoff1969
We had one a few years ago that touched down about 5 miles from the house - the devastation was unbelievable. Barn comletely destroyed, and a whole row of trees snapped like nothing. Mother Nature still rules in case we forget. Good job helping out Scotty!

I like everyone's reaction after something like that happens. They all stand around looking humbled, bewildered, confused. Gives them back some respect for the power of nature.

Then there are some who go to work....

getting ready to head out the door right now, Jeff, to see if anyone in that neighborhood needs branches removed from their yards. The younger people who are more capable to do it themselves, I'll charge a couple bucks. The elderly and not-so-well off, I'll do it for free......

Hope everyone can get cleaned up and back to normal. Good for you helping with the cleanup. That's a win win. That norway will be nice to add to the pile.

getting ready to head out the door right now, Jeff, to see if anyone in that neighborhood needs branches removed from their yards. The younger people who are more capable to do it themselves, I'll charge a couple bucks. The elderly and not-so-well off, I'll do it for free......

A man after my own heart.

A couple of years ago a tornado went thru the next town south of us, where my MIL lives. We went there with a generator and chainsaws. After I got the genny set up and running for her, I ventured farther into town, and wow it was a mess. I cut for three days, and went home with two loads of wood.

I got hooked up with a church group that was walking around helping people. These people were set up with all the proper PPE, pole saws, chainsaws, etc, but their big saw was a 290 with a 20" bar, and they were overwhelmed by all the huge silver maples and cottonwoods everywhere. I actually had a really good time. All I did was cut. I didn't touch any limbs or roll any wood out of the way. I had helpers ;)

Wow. Spent all morning and early afternoon down in that neighborhood, and ended up almost blowing the tires out on the trailer! I got a 8' bed on the truck heaped up with beech, and a trailer heaping full of beech. Still have a trailer load of white oak to get from the one property, and that same property is going to have two HUGE beech trees dropped (tops completely snapped out of them) and a HUGE white oak (lost half of it's top too) dropped, a tree co. with an 80' bucket truck is going to do that work for them (insurance job). There's easily 8-10 cord of firewood, maybe even more, in those three trees alone. They said that for the help, I'll get first dibs on the wood! WIN-WIN for me! Didn't charge anyone a dime, and they were very appreciative of the help. Makes me feel good to help out (not to mention a year and a half's worth of primo firewood)!!

Was that near you Scotty?

We ran up to Warren PA yesterday to pick up an old little 4 cylinder Dodge Ram50 for my youngest son. (A 1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max that Dodge imported and re-badged as a Ram.)

Coming back we were driving through Marienville when that storm hit. I thought that little pickup was going to get blown off the highway. The sky was gray-green, huge branches were falling all over the road, and I literally told my son to watch for tornadoes.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 115
Was that near you Scotty?

We ran up to Warren PA yesterday to pick up an old little 4 cylinder Dodge Ram50 for my youngest son. (A 1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max that Dodge imported and re-badged as a Ram.)

Coming back we were driving through Marienville when that storm hit. I thought that little pickup was going to get blown off the highway. The sky was gray-green, huge branches were falling all over the road, and I literally told my son to watch for tornadoes.
Yes, it directly hit the southeastern side of our town.....it was most likely a microburst.

Status
Not open for further replies.