Stove and hearth project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb5004

Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
I asked quite a few questions leading up to my install, so I wanted to share the results. It's not nearly as nice as some of the set-ups I've seen on these forums, but not too bad for an English major.

Here's the piece of junk prefab fireplace that was in the house when I purchased the place a year ago.

Fireplace.jpg

Screw that! We started tearing out.

IMG_20140908_101333_461.jpg

IMG_20140908_182138_336.jpg

With a clean slate, I built a relatively short but wide pad.

IMG_20140909_192520_547.jpg

Covered it in tile and hung stone before hanging the stone.

Stovewithoutchimney.jpg

Almost done!

IMG_20141004_244417_833.jpg

Done!

Reactions: JStone
Doh! I meant to say "hung stone before installing the stove." Looking back I wish I took more pictures. Oh, well.

Last edited:
Looks great Steve, similar color to the tile I used for the base. It may be the angle but is that 16" clearance in front of the stove?

No, I didn't want to make the pad any bigger, so I'm using a piece of stove board that I can move in the warmer months. It's allowable in my county (in Ohio), but I understand some codes require the front ember protection to be fastened to the floor. I just ordered it and it should be here this week. Hopefully it beats the really cold weather because I can't burn without it!

Reactions: JStone
Status
Not open for further replies.