Stove choice struggles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes I planned on the Tee with bottom cover
He was referring to an outside metal chimney. A tee would not work for this install. The Sequoia is top exit only.

Kuma said there stoves had to be be connected with the same size as their stove/insert collars.
I did ask them about the height affecting the draft, they agreed but they can only go on what their stoves were tested on (16').
So, if my chimney is good per the chimney sweep, can I do a thimble above the smoke chamber and not line it?
That should allow for proper yearly cleaning and use of Kuma Sequoia free standing stove
Yes if the clay is in good shape ,the mortar joints between the clay are good, and you have the required 2" clearance from the outside of the masonry to any combustibles. As well as a long list of other things to check. Then yes you could run the stove through it. As long as you can properly seal the bottom of the liner which is very hard.

He was referring to an outside metal chimney. A tee would not work for this install. The Sequoia is top exit only.
I dont think he is. I thought he wanted to vent through his fireplace flue with a crock above it. If he is talking about a class a then sure.

Pictures and a sketch are in order here.

-I want to change to freestanding stove but no legs so I can pipe into the fireplace opening and up through the smoke chamber instead of drilling a thimble through 2 foot of stone/block.
What thimble? - not following the plan here

Flexible is good. I would not get fixated on one stove make or model when there are others that may offer a better solution. There are big stoves that will work on a 6" liner. How large an area will the stove be heating? Is there anything unusual about the space like excess glazing or very high ceilings? Is there any possibility of leaving the fireplace alone and installing a freestanding stove elsewhere?

Have to be flexible.
I don't want a thimble, but if it allows for the Sequoia, it may be my only option . Cutting through the chimney is not fun.
So you would be putting a liner in it? If you want to use the clay it would be a clay thimble.

So, if my chimney is good per the chimney sweep, can I do a thimble above the smoke chamber and not line it?
Legally, yes. But a 10x9 clay chimney, which might work fine for your fireplace, may not perform well with a wood stove. Exhaust temperature is conversely tied to efficiency, so while your inefficient fireplace kept that clay tile plenty warm, the much cooler exhaust from the stove may not. This can lead to draft and creosote condensation issues, if you want to burn a cat stove at a low burn rate.

Of course, if the chimney is good, why not just run a flex liner (un-insulated) right down to the top-exhaust stove, and skip the thimble? With top and bottom block-off plates, the liner would stay much warmer, and would have much better exhaust velocity (50 sq.in. for 8” liner vs. 90 sq.in. for your 10x9 tile).

ashful, I will look into that with the chimney sweep. He is very conservative though and loves to always use the UL1777 liner type.
If you have the required clearances you could run uninsulated. But you would need to have the right clearances or a sweep should not do it. Some including me still will insist on insulation because it is the best way to do it

Reactions: Ashful