Stove chow vs. Cheat river.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dgopetactical

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2012
York County, Pa
Just finished up some stove chow left over from last year, just started running some cheat river tonight. I looked at the stove a bit a go and I had a beautiful bright big flame, I thought I had it on a higher setting and it was on #1 like it should be. I'm only a hour and a half into cheat river and I'm impressed by the way it looks seems a lot better than chow.

I'll let you know in a few days on heat and ash.
Denny

Never burned Chow did a few bags of Cheat thought they burned hot with low ash , but had several long pellets . Was concerned about bridging in the hopper . I would try them again I hope they work for you as your sig says your sitting on 3 ton.

Is it just my computer or is anyone else having issue with type and font :confused: everything comes up bold ??? or changes part way thru a post .If it's just my end I'm so sorry;em

Is it just my computer or is anyone else having issue with type and font :confused: everything comes up bold ??? or changes part way thru a post .If it's just my end I'm so sorry;em
One too many of them there Busch Lights

One too many of them there Busch Lights

You maybe right ;lol Every time I post I have to reset the font and everything you guys post comes in bold that I don't mind easier for these eyes to read :)! Being a tech challenged moron that I am must have pushed some thing I shouldn't have :( No problem I'll have another beer that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Never burned Chow did a few bags of Cheat thought they burned hot with low ash , but had several long pellets . Was concerned about bridging in the hopper . I would try them again I hope they work for you as your sig says your sitting on 3 ton.

Yep, got 3 ton. Heard they they were good at the beginning of the season and now they say it's a shoulder pellet, LOL. So far so good, the price was right...heard a rumor they are a rebag of hammer, any truth to that? They are made in the same town.

Yep, got 3 ton. Heard they they were good at the beginning of the season and now they say it's a shoulder pellet, LOL. So far so good, the price was right...heard a rumor they are a rebag of hammer, any truth to that? They are made in the same town.

To the best of my knowledge not Hammers but they do come from WV . Like I said I thought they were low ash compared to the GT's I was burning with really good heat .

Both made in kingswood, WV

AFAIK, Hamer has 2 plants Elkins and Mt Hope.
This used to be the case. As of this past spring, Mt. Hope pellet plant is now a Boy Scout camp. The only pellets that Hamer produces now is the Ultra-Premiums out of Elkins and they are absolutely awesome pellets. many people also get confused and think that there is a plant in Kenova, WV as well. That is just their corporate H.Q.
As far as Cheat River pellets being re-bagged Hamers...110% Not true.

This used to be the case. As of this past spring, Mt. Hope pellet plant is now a Boy Scout camp. The only pellets that Hamer produces now is the Ultra-Premiums out of Elkins and they are absolutely awesome pellets. many people also get confused and think that there is a plant in Kenova, WV as well. That is just their corporate H.Q.

Thanks for info.

Very interesting. I bought a ton of the Hardwood Heats (from TSC) last year. They were good pellets, but I can't say they blew my socks off. I wonder if there was a difference between the two plants?

BTW, I stopped by my local Lowe's last night to see what they have in stock. Just those stinky Presto's. My experience with them this year has been a lot of ash and a lot of fines/dust. Not going to buy them. I'll have to check out Home Depot. As much as I would prefer to use a local hearth shop, their prices are closer to $300/ton.

Thanks for ending that rumor, I read that last year on pellet reviews, and was told that last week from a stock boy at Lowes.

HD around here in the Harrisburg area only carry chow that's it no selection. Lowes mainly cheat and green team both stores $209 a ton.... Stove stores over 300 a ton, can get hammers at ace for $265 a ton or 5.75 a bag

Thanks. Cheat River is a division of Appalachian Wood Pellets which, as best as I can tell, is part of Allegheny Wood Products using waste from their hardwood lumber mill.

Thanks. Cheat River is a division of Appalachian Wood Pellets which, as best as I can tell, is part of Allegheny Wood Products using waste from their hardwood lumber mill.

See this is where is gets confusing, cheat river says appalacian wp on the bag, well so does hammers...

See this is where is gets confusing, cheat river says appalacian wp on the bag, well so does hammers...
And the Appalachian Wood Pellets web site makes no mention of either Hamer or Cheat River. Maybe they are just owned by the same company... it doesn't necessarily mean there are any other connections between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.