Stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is that romex OK that close to the ceiling support?
20210214_161748.jpg20210214_161414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the wood is a lot closer and it is ok. The support box maintains the require 2" clearance for the chimney pipe.

Reactions: strategy400
Never seen it done with that harpoon looking contraption, but if it worked, well done.

I put a 5 foot section of class A in the attic which protruded through the roof about 6 inches and a 4 foot section on top of that.
My stove "requires" 15 feet of pipe from the collar. I have 14. I'm also at 3300 feet elevation.
My plan was to add a 3 foot section on top of it to make 17 for the elevation, but I'm over 3 feet out of the roof and over 2 feet over the peak. Adding 3 more feet provoked images of how hard it would be to sweep the chimney. Should I send back the 3 foot section and get a 2 or 1.5 foot section? Can I disconnect the 3 foot section each time I sweep?
Is there an easy way to sweep the chimney from the bottom? My chimney goes straight down into the collar and I have a 14 inch single wall slip connector pipe attached to my support box. Can I remove the 4 foot single wall under that and not come out looking like Wiley coyote? I have visions of a modified coffee can with a shop vac attached and a hole for the sweeping tool.
Might be worth it not to have to tromp on the roof.

Taking a top connection apart every time might prove to be a PITA..might burn fine with what you have..Also bottom up cleaning is an option, but any cleaning, at least for me, ultimately has me looking like Pig Pen..

For bottom up I just remove the section of black pipe, insert the brush with a rod then tape a garbage bag to the ceiling support box, make a small hole in the bag to insert more rod's and clean the pipe, the majority of the mess goes into the garbage bag, key is to make the rod hole above the bottom of the bag so the mess doesnt come out the hole.

Without meeting the manufacturers recommended vent length you are setting yourself up for potential disappointment/head scratching, with poor stove performance (mostly at your elevation). So much easier to add the pipe/bracing now while your in the install groove!
Bottom up cleaning is done by many. I use a Sooteater brand cleaner and garbage bag on the bottom of my telescoping connector pipe. I put the rotary cleaner into the lifted pipe just above the stove collar. Lay out a old sheet over the stove and hearth to catch any escaping mess as soon as I lift the pipe enough to slide the sheet through between the collar and pipe. Works fine.

What stove are you installing?

For bottom up I just remove the section of black pipe, insert the brush with a rod then tape a garbage bag to the ceiling support box, make a small hole in the bag to insert more rod's and clean the pipe, the majority of the mess goes into the garbage bag, key is to make the rod hole above the bottom of the bag so the mess doesnt come out the hole.
I like this idea.

Without meeting the manufacturers recommended vent length you are setting yourself up for potential disappointment/head scratching, with poor stove performance (mostly at your elevation). So much easier to add the pipe/bracing now while your in the install groove!
Bottom up cleaning is done by many. I use a Sooteater brand cleaner and garbage bag on the bottom of my telescoping connector pipe. I put the rotary cleaner into the lifted pipe just above the stove collar. Lay out a old sheet over the stove and hearth to catch any escaping mess as soon as I lift the pipe enough to slide the sheet through between the collar and pipe. Works fine.

What stove are you installing?
This sounds like sage advice. The stove arrived today, with a crack in the glass of course....

Looks like the TV is too close. Electronics don't particularly like a lot of heat.

Define close, and how is it mounted in relation to the stove?

One effect I can see is you will watch less TV and more of the fire!

Eric
Not sure exactly how close yet. The stove is still in the driveway. I'm going to say between 2 and 3 feet away. The TV is on a movable wall mounted arm, but is swung as far from the stove area as possible. I may have to move it if it turns out to be too close. I'll shoot it with an IR gun and post my findings. Still have a year of warranty on the TV :)

Last edited:
Can I disconnect the 3 foot section each time I sweep?

Yes if the roof is easy to get on, and reaching the bottom of a 3' section is doable. I do that to mine. It make top down cleaning easy.

Not sure exactly how close yet. The stove is still in the driveway. I'm going to say between 2 and 3 feet away. The TV is on a movable wall mounted arm, but is swung as far from the stove area as possible. I may have to move it if it turns out to be too close. I'll shoot it with an IR gun and post my findings. Still have a year of warranty on the TV :)
I can't imagine this being any good for the TV in the long run. I would move it. It also depends on how large the room is and how much heat builds up at the TV location. Turning on a ceiling fan might help.

Eric

I had my tv less than 3 ft from the front corner for almost 7 yrs, the tv still works fine. We removed that wall and the tv is in a new location now but not because it was close.
That sounds encouraging. Can't wait to get this thing in. Screw the cracked glass. Hopefully they'll give me a discount or something. Anyone replace the glass in one of these?