Stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Now I'm reading where cracked glass is dangerous? Anyone run their stove with cracked glass?

It would make me crazy to look at that even if the stove was old, but new, forget about it...Someone should be held responsible for that, and it shouldn’t be you.

Reactions: strategy400
Don't run the stove with cracked window. Even if it's just a small crack, it could break further due to heat creating a major air leak, overfired and ruin your stove or house.

Reactions: strategy400
Just got done stuffing some mineral wool batts in the cavities adjacent to the chimney to keep the loose fill cellulose from encroaching. It is every bit as itchy as fiberglass. I used so much PPE my wife called me king tut. So far king tut, wiley coyote, pig pen, and pink panther have been referenced in this project.

20210218_183155.jpg

Reactions: gthomas785
I switched to a projector so I wouldn't shorten the life of my TV. I even had to get a slightly higher end (mid range, more like) projector screen. The cheaper ones are PVC only or PVC and nylon. They expand and contract too much with heat, so I'd get ripples and waves. I got a Elite brand with fiberglass substrate instead, and it's much better.

The best thing to do is just see how warm the area the TV is in tends to be. If it's more than 30 degrees F higher than the room, I wouldn't put the TV there. It will shorten its lifespan by some percentage. Electrolytic capacitors and eMMC chips in particular will die faster with increased temps.

Reactions: trx250r87
The definitely would worry me since it's a free standing stove. I have electronics about 3' from from insert on thr same wall but they don't really get hot because the heat is radiating out and the blower helps. Your stove is going to radiate heat right at the TV. I would just keep an eye on it and measure temps as suggested but my guy feeling is that's not going to work.

The definitely would worry me since it's a free standing stove. I have electronics about 3' from from insert on thr same wall but they don't really get hot because the heat is radiating out and the blower helps. Your stove is going to radiate heat right at the TV. I would just keep an eye on it and measure temps as suggested but my guy feeling is that's not going to work.
I got the stove up to 300 today for a break in fire. The TV didn't warm up at all. Going to try 450 tonight.

Well done. The improvement should be more noticeable at night when it is colder.

So I'm finding that my stove leaks air near the upper door hinge. It has adjustable hinges. It fails the dollar bill test in that corner. I'm thinking of putting a long wood clamp near the hinge to the back of the stove to pull it in and tighten the hinge but could that cause a leak in the opposite corner?