@$#%^&^% Stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nlittle

Sep 8, 2009
Southern NH
ARGGGGHHHHH
They are installing my new Hampton ENAMEL I300 and were basically FORCING the surround on.
Now the door opens when it rubs and there is a little piece of enamel on the hearth....
Better be getting new stuff.....update after they finish the top of the liner.

If they are still there point out the problems so they can not say you did it. If you are going for a replacement I would not burn any fires.

just have them take it back out and return it so you aint gotta haul it.

Yup I am pretty confident they will fix it up. I really just need a new door/ surround...no need to take the entire stove. That would be more work than it is worth I think.
Sigh, if only they looked at the recommended settings for the "wings" before attempting to add the rest.... It does look nice though.

You got yourself a nice insert. I'd take a couple of digital photos to A. Prove to us you really got it and B. Have a record in the event you have trouble getting it fixed.

I knew it wasn't a happy post when I saw the prefix...

When my installer added the surround, I watched him closely. It took him about an hour to get the adjustments correct so they looked even on both sides. He thought he was all set. I opened the door and it starting to hit the surround. So he came back and took another attempt at getting the door and surround lined up. After another hour or so, he got it. The trick is to move the door to it's opened and closed position before locking in the surround. It takes a while, but he'll get it.

How bad is the chip of enamel? Is it from the surround or the door, or both?

Ok, I have calmed down and the install is done. After closer inspection the chip must have come from someplace I cannot see and the door opens and closes with no rubbing now. The initial rub just made the paint a bit lighter on the lower corner. I can handle that. I will be keeping a close eye for any issues though.
As far as the gaps being even around the door, they are not but as long as my door does not rub I am happy. I am working on not being a perfectionist...this is a good start.
stejus, does your shelf move at all? up or down?

Thanks for the support...I am breathing now and looking forward to the first break in burn...pics tomorrow, I promise!

nlittle said:
stejus, does your shelf move at all? up or down?

The shelf below the door? No it's doesn't. This is part of the blower system and it snaps into place. If you mean the shelf above the door, no again. This should sit on the two side surround pieces and not move at all. I hope this helps.

You'll be there before you know it. My installer wrote on his work order not to run the stove until inspected. This was like getting a car for Christmas and saying you can't drive it until you're 16.5 years old. :)

Thanks Kenny LOL

Stejus, thanks for the response. I was talking about the top shelf, it does move and I thought it probably should not. I think I will have the shop send "someone else" back out with a new surround. Readjust it all and use new pieces if any were damaged. Someone with a bit more patience!
I did do my first break in burn last night because my town guy said no permit/ inspection was needed. Although I will call him out anyway. Nice small fire didn't even get the surround warm..come to think of it, didn't even smell paint, larger one tonight. Pics will be put up in a new post a bit later.
Breath in, breath out...

nlittle said:
Thanks Kenny LOL

Stejus, thanks for the response. I was talking about the top shelf, it does move and I thought it probably should not. I think I will have the shop send "someone else" back out with a new surround. Readjust it all and use new pieces if any were damaged. Someone with a bit more patience!
I did do my first break in burn last night because my town guy said no permit/ inspection was needed. Although I will call him out anyway. Nice small fire didn't even get the surround warm..come to think of it, didn't even smell paint, larger one tonight. Pics will be put up in a new post a bit later.
Breath in, breath out...

Take a look at the top shelf at eye level. The shelf should sit level all the way back. The install steps should be the top shelf first as far back as it can go, then pull it towards you slowly until it stops. Then drop in the top surround. The two pieces should line up like puzzle pieces. My installer with his partner had issues with this as well. This was the first Hampton for my installer and I think he didn't read the manual enough. These Hampton's are engineered with little wiggle room. I do have to say, once it's in place and you're using it, the pain of the install suddenly goes away.

Last night was the first over night fire we had since last season. We've had a few morning fires on the weekend but last night temps were dipping below freezing. Woke up this morning and the coals were still present at 6:00AM and the house was 73 downstairs and 70 upstairs. This was with 3/4 of the stove loaded with oak and black birch around 8:30PM last night. Best of all, this is all scrounged wood I use for what is know as shoulder season.

Good luck today and let's see some fire!

Hmmmm. Yeah I see how it is a puzzle, these guys just thought a bigger hammer would get it together instead of finesse. I will be calling today to have it adjusted and try to get 2 new top pieces or at least a kick back. I am concerned if there is a crack or chip, it will get bigger once the fires get bigger.
Their first mistake was not adjusting the wings first and I could tell he got pissed and assumed he knew best. Check out my pics in my new post. I will keep be sure to let you know that any resolution went swimmingly. ;)

Hey I'm not familiar with the insert - but I'd say you made the right choice calling them back. When you say the initial rub made the paint look lighter in one spot - is the paint in question enamel? If it is, the lightened color could indicate it seperated from the metal and is just waiting for a good fire to chip off.

+ I'd have the new guy take the surround out and figure out where that enamel chip came from. Be a shame to get all done and then have a crack spread off the chip into an area you can see.

OK
Just got off the phone with them, I bearly had to expand upon my concerns and my sales guy was writing up the order for someone to take a look and replace any damaged or even possibly damaged parts. Thanks for the tip meathead on the light color, I would not have thought of that!

I feel a ton better, AND he said I could keep burning since all the enamel pieces are replaceable without moving the stove.
:)

Hope it pans out as well as he made me feel!

Just had the new surround installed. It was the same guy but he was in a much better mood. He evened up my door seams and put in the new surround pieces. I am happy now... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.