Stove installation need your insights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis220

Jan 18, 2015
CT
image.jpg image.jpg

Hi, I bought this brand new looking vigilant. I cleaned it up and it looks great.

When I called my chimney guy to come put in the liner and connect it, he said he could not do it... Not up to code.

Can you guys recommend / tell me what I need to change to make this safe? See image below.

Maybe it's too close to the sides of the fireplace? Too close to the wooden floor? I can fix this with a slab of stone right?
All recommendations are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a non-UL stove the clearances are 36" in all directions. The stove requires 18" of hearth in front of it.

Being a non-UL stove the clearances are 36" in all directions. The stove requires 18" of hearth in front of it.
I did check this forum regarding a6 or a 8 inch liner for this stove, and my conclusion is to go with an an 8 inch. Although it is a straight run up from the stove.
Will I be able to fit a 8 inch liner in the 6x12 clay chimney blocks? Make it a bit oval....??

That would be a very tight squeeze. Even a 6" liner would need some ovalizing, especially if insulated. The clay liner may need to be busted out, but even then 8" is dubious.

View attachment 151121 View attachment 151122

Hi, I bought this brand new looking vigilant. I cleaned it up and it looks great.

When I called my chimney guy to come put in the liner and connect it, he said he could not do it... Not up to code.

Can you guys recommend / tell me what I need to change to make this safe? See image below.

Maybe it's too close to the sides of the fireplace? Too close to the wooden floor? I can fix this with a slab of stone right?
All recommendations are appreciated.

What does this statement mean? If you bought it new, why did you have to "clean it up"?

If you bought it new, did the dealer talk to you about clearances to combustibles or how you planned to install it? If not, why not? Did you get a manual with the stove? Did you read it? Does the stove have a little safety placard on the back also showing the CTCs? If so, did you read it before you bought the stove?

In other words: what was your plan for installing this stove other than "it looks great"?

He said it is "brand new looking." Implication, it is used.

That is a beautiful stove and hearth, but the stove is sitting inside of the hearth I don't think it would work very well that way. . Mine not as pretty sits just in front of the hearth opening on the protected floor area that extends another 10 inches or so in front of the stove. The base is solid concrete with fireproof tiles to make it look somewhat nicer. My house along with the hearth chimney etc is circa 1885 or so. I installed a modern 8 inch liner and it works fine. I did it myself with a friends help. I would ask the chimney guy exactly what needs too be done. But I would think that It needs to come out in front of the hearth opening to start. Your big box stores or stove dealer have several options available to place on the floor for the stove to set on that are fire proof. I would get a second opinion from another chimney contractor usually estimates are free and you can gain a lot of info from them and then do it yourself if you feel safe in doing it yourself. Good luck. Once its working its well worth the effort.

I see that your stove also vents from the top apposed from the rear of the stove after looking more closely at your pics. That makes for a much more complicated install using a hearth opening and chimney going on what I did to install mine as mine vents from the rear. Yours would most likely be installed say in a corner of a room thru the wall or ceiling. There is almost no clearance to bring it ( the stove ) out in front of the hearth then using a 90 deg elbow to go back inside the hearth with your stove pipe and then another 90 up the chimney. Maybe that is why the chimney guy declined to do the job with that type of stove, install, and the difficulty involved.

Thanks for all the insights!
My stove can switch to a rear vent by turning the piece in the back by 180 degrees, very handy, so I can move it forward if needed.
I will have to put some of that material on the floor to make sure my wood floor does not combust.
Regarding the liner... That's an issue... Is it a big deal to bust out those clay shapes? Or is there a tool for that that we just lower in to it and "destroys " the clay?
Regarding the 36 inch clearance... Is that required for the stove to get rid of the heat? Or for the risk of materials next to the stove "combusting"? If it's the second, then I'm not worried, the first is an issue... Then this whole setup will never work for me.
I got this thing for next to nothing at a estate sale, they where happy I took out the 500 pound steel monster :) so I can simply sell it again if this does not work out.
We have a modern wood burning insert in the kitchen, so we will use only that stove for now.
Advise about the open questions is appreciated!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that required for the stove to get rid of the heat? Or for the risk of materials next to the stove "combusting"? If it's the second, then I'm not worried, the first is an issue...
I think you have that backwards and it needs 36" clearance to make sure the flammables do not combust

Is it a big deal to bust out those clay shapes? Or is there a tool for that that we just lower in to it and "destroys " the clay?
Not that big of a deal no but not something that should really be done yourself. We break out liners pretty regularly. But if there are multiple flues in the chimney it might not be a good idea

There are 3 in there... Fireplace inn the basement, stove in the kitchen and the fireplace in the living room.

All in all, probably have to sell this puppy....

Anybody interested ?

I think you have that backwards and it needs 36" clearance to make sure the flammables do not combust

Not backwards because it's inside my fireplace... It's all fireproof, nothing will combust....

Not that big of a deal no but not something that should really be done yourself. We break out liners pretty regularly. But if there are multiple flues in the chimney it might not be a good idea

Not backwards because it's inside my fireplace... It's all fireproof, nothing will combust....
The wood outside the fireplace is not fire proof and that is what you have to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.