Stove Lighting in 15 days J.A. Jung Sirius wood stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1/4" is more than the 5 mm in the manual that the OP mentioned. The deeper they are in, the lower the contact resistance, the more reliable the measurements are.

Reactions: clancey
I just got a little taste of this for about 5 fires and it takes a certain amount of a learning curve and in time I can see where this becomes kind of like a 2nd sense like maybe sitting in another room and you can tell by the heat what the stove is doing--then you say--Oh it needs more wood and your off to the addiction land...pretty soon you look and you say "No" I could not have used all that wood for my wood shelve is half empty --all I can say is it has been a nice experience just to get ready for the future if it is needed and that's a secure feeling especially if you have love ones...Thanks everyone and really appreciated all the help and support and humor and it was just plain fun..If I run into any more difficulty or questions about something I will start a new thread...Thanks again..old mrs clancey

Duraflame logs have chemicals in them and are not safe for woodstoves. Envirologs are just sawdust and are safe for woodstoves.

Reactions: stoveliker
Thanks kborndale and I got my box of them out last night to read about them and just like you say they sound very environmentally safe..The store has sticker tags on the box in different places and stops my reading-lol ...It says that it is 100% recycled wax cardboard. Says burns cleaner than wood: 86% less creosote and 80% less carbon Monoxide and 30% less emissions...So this is a start with checking them out--yes..I have 48 logs--just in case... On my next lighting I will run my experience good or bad with you all just for the heck of it..thanks..clancey

On my later burns the stove stay between 400--550 as long as I attended it at times and the air thing adjuster I kept at about 1/3 level then when the temperature raised a bit I shut it off but the flames went down lower so I put it back at about 1/3 or less on a 2inch length slot opening under the door at the less air place.. But it is so nice to know that I can bring it up to about 700 if need be..thanks...ps I need to learn the right words but becoming a expert with this--kidding --in five burns now like bhollar once wrote in another way-nicer--use the right terminology when he posted about stove caps and such--slow learner here-me..lol thanks..clancey

..It says that it is 100% recycled wax cardboard.
What is the specific product manufacturer and name? Wax is an accelerant. These logs are for fireplace use, not for wood stove use. Only pure compressed sawdust products are safe for a wood stove and they too need to be used with some caveats.

THIS APPLIANCE IS BUILT FOR BURNING SEASONED CORDWOOD ONLY. USE OF ANY OTHER TYPE OF FUEL LIKE COAL/ CONSTRUCTION WOOD/ TREATED WOOD/ FLAMMABLE LIQUID/ TRASH/ OR ANY FLAMMABLE THING CAN OVERFIRE AND DAMAGE THE STOVE.

Saying it doesn't make it so. Wax binders are why Duraflame logs are not recommended for wood stoves. Their website just says "Enviro-Log Firelogs are a popular choice for fireplaces, wood stoves, fire pits, chimineas, and campfires." That does not make it a wise or safe choice for wood stoves. However, I will keep an open mind. Show me one wood stove company that endorses the use of this product in their stoves.

Envirologs state they are safe for wood stoves, here is a link from there website

I see this from your link:
Enviro-Log Firelogs are a popular choice for fireplaces, wood stoves, fire pits, chimineas, and campfires.

I see nothing that claims they are claiming to be safe in wood stoves. I know its a small distinction but if you have a cat stove I would be very leery using these.

Your a party pooper begreen..lol I am suspicious of that as well--these wax binders would be worrisome for people especially with a cat stove... But for me the bottom line is one of convenience if I have to use the stove and just in emergencies would I use these..--why I just have three boxes of these logs just in case my wood is not quite dry yet..I thought they were about 12 to a box but my boxes are only six to a box--thought I had about 40 of these things but in reality I only have 18 logs..I know people use them a lot in fireplaces and they are suppose to be 86% efficient about the creosote according to the prior posting advertisement by the company--can't trust no one with information now a days especially the people who own the product.. I will try them out and give you my updates on them with pictures of their fire--but I love burning wood in my stove and hoping it snows real real soon...I noticed that when I mentioned these type of logs to my installer and showed him the box--he ran out the door--lol ..Thanks for the input everyone and I will let you know...clancey

The wax makes these logs petroleum supplemented. I would be very cautious using them in my stove and would strongly advise anyone to be very careful burning them in a stove, but especially to someone just learning. Only burn one at a time if trying them out.

I think for now I am going to take a pass and learn how to burn wood first..and I will do more research on these logs..I do believe that they are best with fireplaces but not yet ready for stoves--this is only by instinct and not real knowledge but I will do some checking..I want cold weather so I can burn my wood...Tomorrow about 70-75 and the east has rain I believe and the northwest has had rain and cold...I want snow....thanks everyone..clancey

"I want cold weather so I can burn my wood..." It sounds like someone has become hooked on heating with wood.

When I was in the hospital for over a week January 2019 my wife bought some of the Enviro logs because our wood was marginal and she was having a hard time getting the stove hot. Our stove is pretty small, so just one mixed with 25% moisture firewood. If we had a cat stove this might not have turned out so well. I still have two of them in a closet somewhere, but we got a pallet of bio bricks when I got out of the hospital. I will probably never use them as I don't really care to burn more petroleum products than I have to.

I've only used them in my old basement smoke dragon when I have the doors open in "fireplace mode". Have never used them with a load of wood and the doors closed.

Yea I am eyeing the box of them with suspicion now--(thinking only if I have to)--you people have a way to take the joy out of life (kidding)....Well my carpenter used my little electric screwdriver a lot and it got broke so now i am looking for another one at home depot that a 1/16 will fit into it..Do you have any suggestions and should I get the battery kind and would that be too heavy for me? Today I am going to bring in some more wood from "the wood shed"--that sounds romantic or something--living on the farm...lol .The temperature will be too hot today about 70-75 outside with sun...I only lite my stove about 5 times and yes "old goat" I am addicted already...That heat is really different and just did not expect that and for these occasions of wood burning I even bought a six pack so that I can sit and watch the flames jump around...enjoying and wanting snow...clancey

Today is too hot to burn my wood stove --waiting for cold...Took pictures of my birdies taking a bath in the hot sun--they love baths...Now my question is: I took a picture of my wood shed and if I fired up a stove for maybe 12 hours a day how long do you think that wood pile would last--ball park here...Also how many 16 inch oak 1/4 splits could I stack on the bottom for a good fire--I am guessing about three and would this overheat it...clancey

birdies 008.JPG birdies 001.JPG birdies 004.JPG

Reactions: SpaceBus
North Idaho Energy Logs are also good

Today is too hot to burn my wood stove --waiting for cold...Took pictures of my birdies taking a bath in the hot sun--they love baths...Now my question is: I took a picture of my wood shed and if I fired up a stove for maybe 12 hours a day how long do you think that wood pile would last--ball park here...Also how many 16 inch oak 1/4 splits could I stack on the bottom for a good fire--I am guessing about three and would this overheat it...clancey

View attachment 284815 View attachment 284816 View attachment 284817

2-4 weeks depending on how hard you burn. I'd easily have that burnt in 2 weeks of cold weather.

Thank you and I did not quite know that there were logs like these with no fillers--no wax or oil products --great..will check them out and I wonder what that party pooper begreen thinks about these logs--hope he sees this...he is always moving my threads around so he might--lol lol They are not too much in price just for an emergency if I can buy them in bulk and will check out the different links....Two weeks about and I think I am going to order more mix wood from my supplier here for they are a nice family and they stack them for me--lazy I am...then I can rotate them and get the oldest first so that I will be sure that they are dry. I am playing with my wood pile today..and my birdies...Hoping it snows real soon...Thanks you all so much....clancey

Begreen wil have no issues. They are merely compressed sawdust.

I bought a pallet of the eco blocks my first year. used them for 2 years mixed in with real wood and they were great. Think I paid like 170 bucks but was nice for when it was super cold and snowy or wet out so I didnt have to get to the stacks and reload as much.

The only problem with bio bricks/NIELs/other sawdust products is the need to be kept indoors. If they are even out in high humidity they will absorb water, swell, and fall apart. I've seen them stored outside, but only as a full pallet wrapped in plastic.

Reactions: stoveliker
i think that I will buy some and mix them with wood when I burn it like Rickb suggests and I will have them around in a emergency or those nasty days when you just do not want to go out and dig around the wood---great idea...Colorado is dry so I can store them at the top of my basement steps on a shelf that I have and this area stays pretty warm and dry because of my boiler heater downstairs in the basement so we will see how they burn and I will take pictures too..Sounds good to me...thanks clancey